Chapter Thirty-One

***This story is intended for mature audiences, as it contains graphic violence, gore, coarse language and some sexual content. Viewer discretion is strongly advised. 

December 25th, 2015

12:45 hours

IRANR Outpost Station #45, Russia

“She’s coming to…” I heard Jake’s voice sound in my ear as I opened my eyes. I felt my head spin and my eyes sting as I blinked them open. Grabbing the hand that was extended towards me, I pulled myself up. I steadied myself slowly, before looking into Jake’s concerned blue eyes. I whipped my hand away. 

“What the fuck is going on, Jake?” I snarled, looking around. Andy and Mouse were next to me, holding both of my arms. Andy stepped in front of me and Jake, blocking me from getting at him. I shoved her off violently.

“No. I demand to know what is going on! I felt heads, severed heads in that closet. Corpses everywhere. What the fuck is happening?” I snapped, eyeing down Jake. He gave me a confused look, peering around at everyone else.

“What do you mean? We found you on the ground over here. You were passed out for like two hours, Julie.” Jake said calmly, reaching for me. I leaned backwards, avoiding his grasp. I felt nauseous and dizzy; dazed and lost. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

“I followed you to the closet where-” 

“Which closet?” I heard Andy interrupt me. I gritted my teeth and looked around the narrow hallway. Seeing as though all the corridors were the same, it was almost impossible to find the closet. I walked down one way, before coming across the dark tunnel that Jake had been walking down earlier. Sure enough, the closet was at the end of the hall. I turned around to glare at Jake, who had a bemused look plastered on his face. 

I stepped forward and opened, expecting to see what I had previously felt. 

I was wrong.

Inside the closet were a few dusty old brooms, a bucket and a few other cleaning utensils. I stood there with my jaw slightly hinged.

But… the heads? The blood? Where was it?

“If I’m not mistaken, those aren’t heads.” Jake said, smirking as he leaned forward, peering into the closet. 

“Julie, you need to get some more rest. You’ve been acting up all week, and now this? I think the war’s getting to you.” Andy sighed, placing a delicate hand upon my shoulder. I tensed up and took a step back. 

This was more than just a war.

Andy and the others turned to leave, leaving Jake and I alone. I glared at him as he closed the closet door. Jake leaned in, placing his face a few millimeters adjacent to mine. He pursed his lips and glanced at the flickering fluorescent lights.

“You’re freaking them out, Julie.” He whispered, grabbing my hand. I ripped it out of his grasp and snarled at him.

“Me? You’re the traitor here.” I spat angrily. Jake scrunched his eyebrows together. He then sighed and looked down, laughing silently.

“You,” he whispered, chuckling softly, “you think I’m a traitor?” He looked back up, his deep blue eyes bearing menacingly into mine. He ran his hand through his shaggy blond hair before moving towards where the others were going.

“Don’t you fucking accuse me of something so extreme and scandalous. You don’t have any prove. And, to set things straight, I’m not a traitor.” He rolled his eyes. I shoved myself forward, pinning him against the cold war. I slammed my elbow into his chest and pressed my knee against his stomach, effectively holding him in place. He choked for breath as I leaned closer to him.