Ashes to Burn - Chapter Twenty-One

***This story is intended for mature audiences, as it contains graphic violence, gore, coarse language and some sexual content. Viewer discretion is strongly advised. 

December 22nd, 2015

18:00 hours

Nazi Concentration Camp, Dnieper River

I blinked open my eyes to see that I was still alive. I looked up at Nycki, who was no longer staring at me, but up at where Bauer stood. I glanced in his direction and saw that the glass was shattered and Bauer was leaning out of the window with blood dripping down his face. I gasped and looked at Sarge, both of us had our jaws dropped in shock. 

He was dead.

I turned back to Nycki and saw her drop the gun. She looked at me and Sarge sadly. She fell to her knees and began to weep. Sarge shifted beside me and crawled her way over to her slowly. She slithered on the ground, the metal in her skin causing it clink against the ground.

“Oh Jennifer, I’m so sorry…” Nycki whispered, looking up at her. Sarge put her metallic hand lightly upon her cheek and wiped away a tear.

“No, it wasn’t your fault… That bastard…” She coughed, wheezing. I heard footsteps as Damien and John rushed over to where we were.

“What happened, Nycki? I thought he was controlling you?” I said, still trying to comprehend what happened. Nycki kissed the top of Sarge’s head before turning to me. She sniffled slightly and wiped her nose.

“Damien pulled out the device from my neck when he was ordering Sarge around. At first I was completely confused on what was going on and where I was, but as soon as I saw Bauer I realized what had happened. Damien told me to act as though nothing was different, and so I did, therefore killing him.” She said as the guys ran up to us. John put a hand on Sarge’s shoulder and looked at me.

“Are you okay?” He asked with a worried tone. I nodded and struggled to get up. I slipped the first time, but with help from John, I got up. I cocked my head at him.

“What happens now?” Nycki asked, helping Sarge up. I looked at the entire group.

“Now we fight.”

We sprinted down the hallways as fast as we could. Damien had ordered the soldiers who were in the box to assemble by the containment unit and to collect weapons. John and I were then going generator room underground and place our mines and bombs. We were going to fight back.

We had to.

I looked over at the others running, their faces strained with exhaustion and pain. We pushed on towards the meeting point in record time. When we got there, soldiers were already poised with weapons and armor. A young man stepped forward to greet us.

“Officer Carl Jennings from squadron six.” He said, handing me an assault rifle and a bullet proof vest. I nodded my greetings and strapped on the vest. I loaded the gun and turned the safety off and looked at everyone.

“Alright, this is our one shot. I need everyone to get the fuck out of here. The camp is a few clicks away from here. John and I are going down to the generator room to plant the bombs. You have approximately twenty minutes to get out of here. You shoot anything that’s metal. Got it?” I asked, slapping my gun. They all nodded in agreement, grabbing the rest of the prisoners. They belted towards the entrance. 

“Julie, I’m going with you.” Sarge said, limping slightly. She looked like a wreck, but better now that she was up and running. I shook my head and pointed at the soldiers hustling to get to the front.