9 - Party

"Wait." Kira holds up a hand, elbow resting on the top of the lab table. "So, Carter, who was killed by Matt when Jackson was the kanima," Kira pauses when Lydia nods along. "She's been dead for over a year and, now, she's back?"

        Lydia shakes her head at the last part. "Technically, she's not really back. Carter is still dead."

        "But, Scott, Malia, and you can see her?" Kira rests her chin on top of her hand. 

        "Yes." Lydia types away on her laptop. 

        "Why can't I see her?" 

        Lydia half shrugs. "I'm a banshee, so I guess that kind of explains why I can see her. Werewolves can switch through their eyes- you know, like their werewolf sight- when they do that, they can see her." 

        Kira awkwardly looks around the room, like she is looking for someone. She bends her head closer to Lydia, whispering. "Is she here now?"

        Lydia looks away from her laptop, lips pursed, and her gaze floating over to where I am sitting across from both of them, on the black stool. Kira follows her gaze, uncertainly staring in the area I am in. I half wave at the wide eyed girl in front of me. I'm assuming she had no idea I was sitting right in front of her. 

         "Oh." Kira whispers, staring off in the direction I am in. "Uh- Hi, Carter?"

        I giggle to myself. "Tell her I said aloha." 

        Lydia peers over the top of her laptop. She rolls her eyes before saying, "Carter says hi."

        "No." I shake my head, placing my chin in the palm of my hand. "I said aloha. Geez, Lydia, get it right."

        Lydia gives a small smile. "Correction. She says aloha." Lydia flicks her eyes to me. "My bad." 

        Kira smiles while leaning towards Lydia's laptop. Her eyebrows furrow. "These are you math notes?  No wonder Malia's failing."

        Curiosity getting the best of me, I tilt the screen down a little bit, earning a small jump from Kira. I peer at the screen, seeing a mix of letters and numbers fill down the screen. None of this makes sense to me. Normally, Lydia's notes were what helped me pass my math classes. 

        "Um, some of them are my notes. The rest I think might actually be a code." Lydia's eyes scan over the jumbled mess. 

        "But you don't remember writing it?" Kira asks. 

        "You should fiqure out what it means. I mean, you are a banshee, Lydia. This must mean something." I wave my hand at her 'notes'.

        Lydia nods along to what I'm saying. She turns back to Kira for a split second, like she is remembering that Kira can't hear me. "Not in the slightest, but considering my drawing of a tree led us to the Nemeton, I should probably figure out what it means before it tries to kill us."

        "I'm already dead, so..." I trail off. 

        "Maybe it's like the Enigma Code the Allies used." Kira says. "Remember my dad was a World War II buff? And my mom was, well," Kira half shrugs. "In it."

        "I think it's a variation on something called the Vigenere Cipher."

        "Do you know how to crack it?"

        I lean back on the stool. "With a key." 

        Lydia nods, before repeating what I said. "With a key."