37

"Oh my god, it looks so good!" I tell the incredibly talented face painter in front of me.

I survey the glittery moon and stars design drawn along my temple, curving around the side of my eye. I hand him back his mirror, and I pay him the five dollars. "Thank you so much."

I turn back around to find Aubrey stuffing her face with a caramel apple. She looks at my face paint approvingly.

"Very Coachella," she comments with an approving nod. "But why did you get face paint in the first place? Isn't that just for kids?"

I see Sin and Beckett approaching us as I answer. "Hey, if I'm going to a fall festival, I'm going to enjoy it fully. Why deprive yourself of joy just because it might look silly?"

"I agree," Beck says, slinging an arm around Aubrey. "I'm thinking about getting him to paint an eyepatch on me."

"No!" Aubrey says assertively, putting her hands on her hips. "I already told you, I am not into the pirate thing!"

"Okay, on that note, I think I'm gonna go find some lemonade," I say, not really interested in hearing about Beck and Aubrey's possible role-playing kinks. "Sin, you want to come?"

"Desperately," he says, grabbing my hand and pulling me away from them, just as relieved to avoid hearing that conversation.

"Wait!" Aubrey calls, pulling the lens cap off the camera I brought her for this weekend. "Picture first."

I pose for a quick picture, showing off my new face paint, and then Sin and I turn to leave. We keep our hands intertwined, and I smile as we walk to find the lemonade booth.

"I like the stars," he comments, gently pushing my hair back to get a better look. I smile up at him, liking the fact that we're so close.

"Thanks, it was between stars and some kind of flowery vine design, and I felt like stars were more true to my personality," I say in a serious, sophisticated voice.

"Really?"

"No, they were just prettier."

"Thank god," Sin says. "You were starting to sound like Skylar there for a second."

I laugh, but swat his chest with my hand. "Don't you dare make fun of Skylar! She might be a little crazy, but she's a sweetheart. I mean, she saged the house to rid it of bad energy for us."

"I'm not denying her good qualities," Sin agrees. "But I much prefer your good qualities."

I shake my head, laughing lightly. "You are always so smooth, aren't you?"

"So I'm told," he retorts, giving me a wink.

I look over at one of the booths, which is a s'mores making table. They even have a tiny fire pit to roast your own marshmallow and tons of chocolate.

"Oh my god, how cute!" I exclaim, pointing it out to Sin. "We have to do that after we get lemonade."

"Lemonade and s'mores?" Sin asks, a disgusted look on his handsome face.

"Sounds just disgusting enough to work," I reply with an evil smile.

"Go ahead," he offers, nodding toward the s'mores booth. "I'll get your lemonade." What a true gentleman.

"You're the best!" I exclaim, smiling up at him before we part ways. The lemonade booth is only a few dozen feet from the s'mores stand, but I go ahead and pay the woman for my s'mores supplies and start roasting a marshmallow.

A guy, about my age, wearing a sports jersey comes up to the booth and does the same, roasting a marshmallow in the same mini fire pit that I am.

I smile at him, but don't say anything. He returns the smile, and conspicuously checks me out.