Chapter Two

I put the cooked meat on wooden plates and set the table for four. The girls should be home soon. It so quiet. June is playing with my nephew, Mattthew, and Kezia's in the forest. Clarke walks in, and slips off her shoes.

"Where's the girls?" She asks, hugging me.

I put an arm around her.

"June's at Octavia's for a bit, and Kezia's with her friends." I reply, kissing her head.

The door opens, and Octavia walks in, carrying June, who seems tired out.

"Well that's a first." Clarke laughs as she takes June in her arms.

"Yep. Those two were running around the village practically the whole day." Octavia says. "And guess who had to chase after them."

I laugh and Octavia hits my arm. Her dark hair now is at shoulder length, as opposed to last year when it was down to almost her waist. She had tried earlier to convince Kezia to cut it, but Kezia is content with her hair that is well past her shoulders.

"Well, I got to get home," Octavia says. "See you later!" As soon as she leaves, Kezia walks in. Her hood is up, and she keeps her head down. My first thought is she got in a fight.

"Kezia," I say when I see her heading to her room. "It's dinner."

"I'm not hungry, Dad." She replies, keeping her head down.

I grab her hood and pull it off of her head. Kezia looks at me, and her eye is swollen and she has a cut lip. I look at her hands. Some of her knuckles are split.

"Kezia." I say angrily.

"Bellamy," Clarke says, almost as a warning.

"I just want to talk to Kezia for a moment." I say.

Clarke nods, and takes June into her room.

"Kezia, what is this, hm?" I ask.

"I ran into a turtle." She replies. "It was a very aggressive turtle."

"Who'd you fight?" I ask sternly.

"Jack." She says. "He was saying things, and then he threw the first punch. You should see his face." She smirks.

"Listen. You're not going to fight again." I say sternly.

"If I ever fight him again, he'll be lucky if he can open his eyes." Kezia replies, and walks to her room.