Engagement

Wakatoshi spotted another paper. This time it was sitting on a bench, held in place by a rock. He beelined for it, nearly crashing into the bench in his haste. He seized the note, dislodging the stone. The paper read ''Since you've made it this far, congratulations are in order. If you can solve this clue, you may be able to save him. Go to"

The paper was blank after those two words. What was the clue? Ushijima wondered. The only other thing nearby was the rock. Could that be it? He picked it up, noting the unusual jet black color and rough texture. He rubbed it, feeling the hard edges and slightly dirty surface move across his palms.

Is this the clue? Where have I seen this rock before? I think it's obsidian. A museum, perhaps? He considered it, but he and Tendou almost never went to museums together. They were boring, the redhead claimed. And at this point, it was unlikely the kidnapper would break his or her streak of sites that meant something to the couple.

Ushijima rolled the stone around his fingers again. This color seems familiar. He closed his eyes, striving to remember where he'd seen dirty black stone before. His eyes shot open. When he had proposed to Satori, they had been in a cave made of this rock. He slowed his breathing, forcing himself to calm down and collect his thoughts.

He had proposed to his love on a camping trip. They had planned to spend the day hiking, but a storm blew up and they hurriedly pitched their tent inside a nearby cave, which was basically a gigantic hole in the side of a stone cliff. It faced away from the rain, so it was an excellent camping spot. Satori had been so fascinated by the obsidian cave that Wakatoshi had decided to ask him right there. They had already discussed the fact they could not legally marry in Japan, but Ushijima wanted to claim Satori as his betrothed anyway. When the loud redhead accepted, it had been the happiest moment of Ushijima's life.

Now, however, he was terrified. The cave has to be it, he thought. It fit the criteria of being important to the couple. It was also a secluded area, which worried Wakatoshi even more. It was miles away from anyone or anything, making it both an ideal location to camp or murder. That worried him more than anything. In a secluded place, away from any interference, anything could happen. The former ace cursed to himself. It was too far to run to. He was going to have to drive there, then run for several miles on the hiking trail.

I'm coming, Satori....

An hour later, he stood on the trail that led to the cave. Fear had turned to anger some time ago. Adrenaline coursed through him, giving him energy through his run up the mountain. His normally calm expression was replaced by a look of stone-cold fury. He marched around the blind curve in the trail, his fists clenched.