part 7: Saturday

My whole world came crashing down in a matter of seconds, with my head getting instant whiplash as it started to process what Rocky's father just said to me.

"I'll be there as soon as possible," I said while letting my brain function on overdrive, then I ended the call. Gigi, my fiancée, looked at me with a confused face, then I put my head on my hands, clueless about what my next move will be.

"Brad, what happened?" She asked me, then I sighed. I looked at her and saw that she was extremely worried, mindlessly making me tell her the news since I don't want her to be stressed because of me.

"She's gone, Gigi," I managed to croak out, then she knew exactly who I was talking about. She held my hand as I continued to cry, my mind torn between keeping myself together and freaking out.

"I'm so sorry, Brad. I really am," Gigi told me, then she tried to give me a comforting hug, which I immediately gave back.

Gigi and I quickly packed the things we'll need, then we were on our way to my hometown. Since it was quite late at night, we decided that a drive will be the quickest way to get there since there were little to no cars on the road.

I looked at Gigi, who looked tired but still beautiful, as her sleepy eyes tried to keep themselves open. I gently patted her hand, then she glanced at me for a second.

"Pull over," I whispered, then she did what I said with no questions.

"I'll take over from here," I said, then she weakly chuckled.

"Are you sure? I want to make sure that you're okay," Gigi said, then I smiled at her.

"I'm a little bit better now. Go to sleep; you've done so much for me already," I told her, then she nodded her head before we switched seats. Before pulling off, I kissed her goodnight, then she snuggled on the seat with her blanket over her, falling asleep almost immediately once we were a mile away from where we stopped.

After more than two hours of driving, I parked at the hospital where she was at, taking deep breaths as I tried to keep my composure while turning the engine off. I gently woke Gigi up, then we both went inside.

When we arrived at the visitor's lounge, we saw that Rocky's mother was fast asleep at a bench, while Angel was wide awake on her seat, looking tired but too shocked to sleep.

She was only 6 years old when she lost her mum.

I was only 6 years old when I met her mum.

"Sweet pea?" I called out, then she slowly turned towards me. Upon recognising who I was, she immediately stood up and ran to me, then I knelt down to her level, allowing her to wrap her arms around my neck as I wrapped her in a gentle squeeze.

"I can't believe you came, Uncle Brad," she said in a sad tone, then I closed my eyes to stop my tears from falling down.

"Of course I did, Angel. I'm here," I say, then Angel started to sob softly. I attempted to soothe her as I brushed my hand on the back of her head and hugged her tighter in an attempt to comfort her and, hopefully, stop her from crying before I could cry myself.

"Bradley?" I heard Rocky's father call out, then I turned towards the direction where his voice came from, confirming that he was behind me. I stood up and whispered to Angel to keep Gigi company, then I went to her father.

"I'm sorry for your loss," I said, then he sighed.

"Oh, Brad. I'm sorry for yours, too," He replied, then I gave him a sad smile, which he returned.

"She always loved you, Brad," he said, then I stopped my tears from falling.

Of course, I loved her, too.

"Melanie and I were planning to have the funeral as soon as possible so that we can focus on the court case. At this point, we're not sure if this was a murder or a homicide, but we are hoping that the killer will be spotted and arrested soon," Rocky's father said with hope, then I nodded my head.

"I hope you get the justice you deserve. If you need help with anything, please don't hesitate contacting me," I said, then he sighed.

"Thank you, Brad. It would have been an honour to call you my son," He said, then a stray tear fell from my eye. I considered him my second father, after all, since they would gladly invite me over during the holidays ever since my dad died 2 years ago.

"Can I please see her?" I asked, then her father sighed then shook his head.

"I'm so sorry, Brad. I'm afraid she's being prepared for the autopsy," Rocky's father said, then I nodded my head. It hurts me that I won't be seeing my best childhood friend for one last time, but I knew that it was for the best.

Life just really is that unfair.

"Anyway, my wife and I will be handling everything. Her siblings will come when they come, but, for now, since you're here, will it be okay if Angel will stay with you for the meantime?" Her father asked me, then I nodded my head.

"Of course. Anything for you, Keith," I told him, then we all bid each other goodbye before we went to a small inn where we could spend the night.

As expected, Angel couldn't sleep. She was quiet, but she couldn't stop fidgeting on her bed. I got up from my bed and went towards hers, then I sat down and took a deep breath. Gigi followed after me, sitting at the other side of the bed.

"Maybe you'd like to tell us everything that's on your mind right now?" I asked Angel, who started to sob quietly. Gigi carefully carried Angel to her lap, then I enveloped both of my girls in a hug.

"At this point, I just wish that I had more time with her, Uncle Brad. I know that life is unfair, but why did she have to go so soon?" Angel asked me, and I had no idea what to answer. Gigi, on the other hand, cleared her throat.

"It's okay to be upset about it, Angel. But she's not completely gone. She's up there in heaven, making sure that you won't go to harm's way," Gigi told her as she lightly brushed her hair.

"But she can protect me from here. I don't understand," Angel said, then I looked into her eyes as they expressed the saddest emotions anyone can ever feel.

I was also sad, of course. Devastated, even. But seeing Angel and Gigi together made me feel this inner, hidden strength I never knew I had. It was the same feeling I had when Angel was born, then I held her for the first time. I wasn't her father, but I was meant to be her protector. Rocky knew that from the moment I asked to be Angel's godfather.

"We don't understand either, Angel. But you know what we can do? We can be here for you. We love you so much, and we promise that we'll do anything to make you feel safe through your mum's guidance, okay?" I said, making Angel a little bit better. When she was feeling sleepy, we carried her over to our bed so she can sleep in between us.

"Please sing me to sleep, Uncle Brad?" Angel asked me, then I gave her a small smile before I softly sang Tiny Dancer to her while Gigi gently caressed her head to sleep. When I was done singing, I kissed Angel's forehead, just like when Rocky was pregnant with her.

But Rocky. She's dead.

How will I let her go?