Chapter 12

XERXES'

It was already past 3 in the afternoon when I invited Aya to go camping. I was smiling while watching her did her own version of happy dance. Pagdating namin sa camping area, may mangilan-ngilan ng grupo na nakapagpatayo ng tent. Ang iba ay magbabarkada samantalang yung iba naman ay pamilya. I was starting to build our tent when some random guy approached Aya while she was tending our supposed dinner. I temporarily stop what I was doing to guard my wife from a predator. With a long, purposeful stride, I reached Aya's side in no time. I put my arm  around her waist. She briefly glance at me with a small smile bago niya pinutol sa pagsasalita ang binata.

"I'm sorry I cannot take your offer, I intend to enjoy this camping with my husband. Alone."

Parang dun pa napagtanto ng binata na may ibang tao maliban sa kanila. Mabilis itong humingi ng paumanhin at tumalikod papalayo.

"You can now go back to what you were doing earlier. It's almost sundown." Pagtataboy sa akin ni Aya. Napapailing na lang ako habang ito naman ay tumatawa.

After we had our dinner in a small bornfire, nag-aya na akong pumasok sa tent.  Aya sleepily went inside the tent. Napagod siguro kakalakad kanina. We can see the night sky decorated with brightly-lit stars as we lay down.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

"I was just appreciating the beauty around us. How about you, what are you thinking dear husband?"

"You."

"Just me?"

"Yeah."

"Hmnnn."

"I'll be back in the office next week."

"I know."

"I don't want to."

"Well, you can be a house husband while I'll be a working wife."

"No can do."

"It's settled then. We will be both working."

"But not for long."

"What do you mean?"

"Nothing. Let's sleep. I know you're tired from the previous nights' rather vigorous activities."

And for that, I earned a slap.

AYA'S

I woke up early to prepare something for breakfast. Babalik na kami ngayon sa kanya-kanyang trabaho. I was startled when a pair of arms wrapped around me. Parang inaantok pa ito kasi nakapikit pa at hindi umiimik.

"Good morning love. Let's have our breakfast."

"My morning kiss first." Parang batang ungot nito. I gave him a peck on the lips pero hindi pa rin ito natitinag.

"You already had your morning kiss. What else do you want?"

"You call it a kiss? What am I, a baby? Let me give you a proper kiss wife" and he did just that.

10 am na kami nakapasok pareho kasi naman ang loko-loko, nagpupumilit na sabay na maligo. I thought we will just take a bath together but he definitely had another agenda in mind.

I was about to sit on my swivel chair when my phone ring. Kuya Yke's calling. I was task to meet a potential investor. Si kuya dapat ang haharap pero may emergency daw kila to ate Sci. I think lumelevel-up na ang relasyon nila. I texted my husband that I can't meet him for lunch because I have to meet a potential investor. I did not wait for his reply. Alam kong busy siya.

"Good morning maam. Welcome to Ole's."

"Reservation under Mr. Dizon."

"This way ma'am."

I was ushered to a table in the farthest corner. And as I was about to greet the person in front of me, my mouth hang open.

"Hello, Ms. Montefalco. Long time no see. Have a seat please."

"Cat got your tongue?" Pukaw nito nang hindi  pa rin ako kumibo.

"Uhm, I'm sorry. I was just shocked to see you." Came my reply. I saw the corner of his mouth lifted. He just smirked.

"Your brother called me saying you'll be the one to meet me Ms. Monte-"

"It's Mrs. Villafuerte already."

"Ohhh, I'm sorry. My bad. I didn't know you got married." He said while his gaze shifted towards the ring on my finger.

"So how's married life?" He asked. Sadness visible in his aquamarine eyes

"Bliss. How about you?"

"Wrecked."

Silence filled the table but he was the one to cut it off.

"Let's get into business. I don't intend to ruin the only thing I'm good at."

The atmosphere was shifted to that of business. For 2 hours, we covered a lot.

"I'll send the final draft of the proposal through email."

"I'm looking forward to working with you." He said while offering his hand for a shake, I hope I can say the same but I took his hand nonetheless.

Papalabas na sana ako nang tawagin niya akong muli. I turned around but I stopped abruptly when he was just inches away from me.

"What? I asked when he did not say anything. He just stared at me as if he was memorizing my face. Aalis na sana ako nang may brasong pumulupot sa bewang ko,

"No one is allowed to stare at my wife's beautiful face except me." And with that, iginiya ako papalabas nito.

"I was waiting for you for 2 hours already. I'm famished. You have to feed me." my husband demanded while driving.

"Hindi ka ba magtatanong kung sino yun?" I asked instead.

"Later. Hunger and Jealousy is not a good combination. We might end up at the side of the road doing the nasty in broad daylight." His serious reply. Parang nanuyo ang lalamunan ko sa sinabi nito.