Part 19

Nineteen

Morning dawned and William's body was warm beside mine, though I felt empty without him inside me. The hard, hot length pressed against my thigh told me that he was ready for more action and the very thought of him had me aching in anticipation. I tipped us so that he lay on his back and I sat astride him, gasping as I guided him inside me. In the morning light, I saw how big the man was and spread my legs wider to take his whole length. No wonder I ached so much – but it was a sweet ache, that could only be soothed with more, equally hot sex. I slipped up and down his shaft, working my hips so that he slid against that sweet spot inside me with every stroke. He started to lift his hips to meet mine, driving him deeper inside me, and I squeezed him as he reached the peak of each thrust.

"Mmmm," William said as his hands closed around my breasts, which bounced as my body moved.

Like last night, I felt the slow build before my bubble burst, though it was nowhere near as powerful as the pleasure William could wring from my body when I was no longer in control. I longed to wake him properly so that we could do it all again. Perhaps I could rouse him with a little pleasure of my own…

I rode him harder, clenching my inner muscles in rhythm with the movement.

"Oh God, Maria," he groaned as I felt the triumph of his hot release inside me. For a moment, his dreamy smile matched my own as I looked down at him over my breasts. If only it could have lasted.

A loud crash sounded from somewhere above and we both jerked in shock. William's expression changed from bemused bliss to panic as he took in our intimately intertwined bodies. "Oh my God, Maria, we didn't. I thought it was a dream and then I woke up and you…oh God." He pushed me off him and stood, striding over to the water jug to splash some on his face and his nether regions. Keeping his back to me, he pulled on some clothes, muttering under his breath so that I couldn't discern the words.

I stood, too, dropped so quickly from bliss to rejection. A trickle of fluid tracked down my thigh, but I ignored it. I didn't understand. Last night, he'd enjoyed every moment and this morning, too, I'd thought until he'd pushed me away.

"Where in hell are your clothes? For God's sake, get dressed." He barely glanced at me before he left the cabin, slamming the door shut behind him.

Tears flowed down my cheeks as I climbed the ladder to retrieve my shirt and my pants. Following William's cold example, I splashed some water between my legs to cool the hot flesh where I'd held him so tightly, only minutes before, then poured a little down the breasts he'd tenderly cupped in his hands. I pulled my pants on and slipped the shirt over my head, not caring that my passion-hardened nipples were clearly outlined through the damp fabric. I tucked my comb into my pocket, wanting to ask William if he could comb my hair and braid it again for me, for it was still undone from last night. But first, I needed to find him.

Swiping the tears from my face, I strode out into the passage, intent on making him tell me what I'd done wrong. I had no idea how I'd manage to ask him, nor whether I'd understand his explanation, but I had to try. I didn't want to make the same mistake again – I wanted to share more nights like last night with him. Forget Giuseppe, for he was cold and dead – he could never touch me and heat my blood again. I wanted William, forever and always.

Someone grabbed my arm and something hard struck my face. I found myself lying on the deck, staring up at the blank bulkhead before a boot came into view. It kicked me in the head and everything faded to black.