Part 5

Five

What if I could never return home again? What if I had to make my life with these people, in a world I didn't understand? Alone. I hugged my knees to my chest, peering out the porthole at the matching grey sky and seas. I could do what Barrett had suggested last night – throw myself into the waves and let the ocean take me.

William knocked on the bulkhead beside me, startling me out of my gloomy thoughts. "I brought you a gift, lass. Something no lady should be without." He held out a piece of tortoiseshell, carved into a row of teeth. "I bought this for my sister. I meant to send it to her before we left Fremantle, but I forgot. Now it's yours."

I took the gift from him, smiling my thanks.

"I don't mean to sound rude, but I think the words you're after are, 'Thank you.'" He imitated my smile and the way I bowed my head, then raised his voice to a high-pitched squeak. "Thank you, William."

I stared at him, then slowly repeated the words. "Th…thank you, William."

"You're welcome, lass. Now, I have a favour to ask. An ulterior motive, perhaps." He paused, but I didn't say a word, so he continued, "Back home, they say a girl with her hair unbound is unleashing a storm to sink ships at sea. Maybe that's just the North Sea and the Indian Ocean's too big to be controlled by a woman's hair, but it makes me nervous and Captain Foster's been worried since we left port. Would you…would you please pin your hair up?" He coughed. "If you don't know how, would you let me do it? The sister I bought the comb for…I used to help her with her hair before school in the mornings. She said I had gentler hands than Mum." He sat beside me on the bed and lifted a cautious hand toward my hair. He stroked the salt-encrusted length of it, right down to the ends lying on the bed beside me. "Now, I heard one of the Singhs asking Allchin for some cooking oil for his hair, so while Allchin was serving breakfast, I liberated some for you." He lifted a large can that I hadn't noticed until now and he shook it, so I could hear the slosh of a little liquid inside. "Would you…would you like me to help you?"

I looked at him, longing to be able to answer him – or even understand his question.

"I wish you could understand me. I'm sure you'll let me know if you want me to stop." He lifted the can over my head and I felt something trickle through my hair. I kept my eyes on William's scared smile, hoping I didn't look equally nervous. He set the can down with a clatter and lifted both hands to my head. "I suppose I just have to spread this through your hair." He threaded his fingers through my hair, gently massaging my scalp with his fingertips, then smoothed my hair between his hands.

I closed my eyes, enjoying the sensation. No one had ever touched me like this. Not my mother, not my friends, not even Giuseppe. A quiet moan of pleasure escaped from my lips and my eyes shot open, staring at William in panic.

He chuckled. "I believe that's a most emphatic 'yes'. More, Maria?"

A word I understood! I beamed. "Yes. Oh, yes, William. Thank you."

He leaned closer to me. "You should turn around, so I can reach your hair better. If you moan like that again, God help me, but I'm going to have to kiss you." He wrapped his hands around my hair, pulling it toward him, and I twisted my body away from his to make it easier. "That's probably safest. Comb?"

I felt William pluck the comb from my fingers and start stroking it through my hair, pulling the tangles from my tresses. He said, "My sister used to tell me all her troubles when I did her hair. As if the comb loosened her tongue. I doubt you'll be as forthcoming, but if you have anything you wish to say, I'm listening, lass."

Wishing I had some way of thanking him for his kindness, I stared down at my body, covered in borrowed clothes. This was all I had and something in the hesitant way he touched me told me that my body wasn't the sort of currency he'd accept. But what else did I have to offer?

The ship rolled beneath us and I clutched at the bunk to avoid being pitched onto the floor, remembering William's illness last night. There was one thing I could offer.

My voice quiet and quivering at first, I lifted it in the same soothing song I'd hummed last night – the one that had calmed my unsettled stomach. Breathing deeper, I increased the volume, putting more power into my voice. This song reminded me of home and the family I might never see again, but it was also the sound of comfort, for my mother had sung the same melody for as long as I could remember. Once I'd started, I couldn't stop. I sang of loss and grief, but I also sang of hope, for the unexpected bliss this man held in his skilful hands.

I let the last note hang in the air before I silenced it, wishing there was more I could offer him.

William lifted my hair, laying it over my shoulder, and placed the end in my hand. I looked down and saw the satin ribbon that bound the braided length – braided just like the rope that Giuseppe had tried and failed to hold on to in the surging waves. The waves that had stolen him from me and drowned him. I burst into tears.

"Here – here." William's arms folded around me, almost crushing me to his chest. I'd never been held so securely – never felt this safe with anyone. "I didn't think I did such a bad job. You look beautiful, Maria, and with your amazing voice and lovely song, you've absolutely bewitched me. The crew will stop calling you a sea monster now they see how beautiful you are. They'll call you an enchantress instead."

Embarrassed, I tried to stem the flood. I swallowed hard, staring fixedly at the fishbone pattern of my braid. He had done me another kindness and I'd responded by soaking his shirt with silly tears. "Thank you, William," I said steadily. "Thank you."

William's grip on me tightened as he reached into his pocket and withdrew a folded piece of cloth. Pressing the handkerchief into my hand, he replied, "Any time, lass. The song alone was worth it. Now let's hope we've seen the end of storms for this voyage." He seemed thoughtful for a moment, before he added, "How'd you like me to give you a grand tour of the ship?"

I heard the question in his tone, but he could have been asking me for anything. Staring into his eyes, I found myself nodding.

He took my hand. "Then come with me."