Chapter 28

After their discussion about the sudden attack and assuring Sakura's safety, they decided to unroll the scroll about their highly confidential mission. The pinkette's safety was definitely important, but their mission was significant as well. Besides, the four of them are among the strongest ninjas in the Leaf Village, being together could very possibly be the safest place Sakura could be in.

"There really is no information about the person." Neji stated.

"Everything is written unknown, even the client is anonymous." Sakura said while thinking hard. "It's quite suspicious."

"We do receive such missions before, extremely secretive missions." Kakashi said.

Sasuke read the only informative sentence out loud, "On the night of 27th March, a woman will appear at the door of Pink Blossom Palace. The target must be killed in one move. If failed, return immediately."

Below that was a warning: 'Do not stay in the land after failed attempt. Escape.'

"Why would there be such a warning?" Sakura pondered.

The silverette nodded his head, "It is quite unusual."

"There's one more sentence." Neji added. "Assassination would be futile before or after the date."

The four of them exchanged glances, this was a mission that was unheard of. It was far too weird and suspicious. Could it be a trap? However, the client had paid a large amount of money.

"Anyhow, a mission is a mission. We'll know when we're there." Kakashi concluded.

After all, there was no point in overanalysing things when no answer would be found. Perhaps, they wouldn't receive an answer even if they reach the place.

==

Their journey to the Land of Keys was quite tense as they were on guard the entire time; thankfully, they did not run into any troubles, no attacks, no ambushes, nothing. The Hokage's message had also reached them. She said the matter will be looked into by the forces of both nations. The head of the Haruno clan was also informed of the attack because the heiress was involved, much to her dismay.

It was the night of 26th March; they had arrived a little earlier because Sakura was simply too nervous for the mission. Her father was hiding something from her, and she was sure it had something to do with this peculiar task. Whenever the team took a break, Sakura would stand up after 5 minutes and tell them to start moving. The men knew better than to stop the stubborn pinkette.

Jomae Village was rather crowded at a time this late. It was bustling and pink lanterns were hung above the streets. There was some sort of celebration, but they had no idea what. They don't recall some big events on the calendar, perhaps it was the village's special occasion. The villagers headed to the same direction and they decided to follow out of curiosity.

As they walked deeper into the village, a familiar scent reached them. A scent Sakura has. Cherry blossom. In front of the crowd was a cloud of pink in different shades. A signboard was written 'Pink Blossom Palace'.

The four ninjas from the Leaf Village exchanged serious glances. Kakashi nodded. It was where their mission would take place.

"That's the place." Sasuke's eyes narrowed.

"Why the festival though?" Neji asked.

Sakura was the first to take a step forward, "We'll find out in the front."

The team squeezed through the crowd, trying their best not to separate from each other; especially leaving Sakura alone. Being far away from the location of the attack does not mean they were not followed.