Chapter 11: The Strike is Over

Jack, David, and some of the newsies made their way to the front of the World building. One of Pulitzer's workers brought Jack and David inside to Pulitzer. Jack pulled out a copy of the paper that he, David, Abby, and Denton printed.

"Extra, extra, Joe. Read all about it," Jack said.
"I promised that if you defied me, I'd break you. I'll keep that promise, boy. Now, I gave you a chance to be free. I don't understand. Anyone who doesn't act in their own self-interest is a fool," he said.

"Then, what does that make you," David asked.
"What," Pulitzer asked.

"Oh, this is my pal, Davey. The walkin' mouth," Jack said.

"You talk about self-interest, but since the strike, your circulation's been down seventy percent. Every day you're losing thousands of dollars just to beat us out of a lousy tenth of a cent. Why," David asked.
"You see, it ain't about the money, Dave. If Joe gives in to nobodies like us, it means we got the power. And he can't do that. No matter what it costs. Am I right, Joe," Jack asked.

"I sent for the police. They must be here by now. Send them in, Seitz," Pulitzer said.
"I'm not goin' back to jail, Joe. Look out here. Right out here is where the power is," Jack said while opening a window.

Pulitzer covered his ears to block out the yelling of the newsies.

"Close the window! Close the window! Go home! Go home! Go home," Pulitzer yelled at the newsies.
"I can't hear you, Joe," Jack said.
"Go home! Go home to your mothers and fathers! Go home," he yelled.
"I don't hear ya," Jack said.
"Now, you listen to me," Pulitzer said.
"Maybe you should listen," Jack said.
"No, no! You listen to me," Pulitzer said.
"No! You listen," Jack shouted.
"Close the window and shut up," Pulitzer said.
"There's a lot of people out there, and they ain't just gonna go away. They got voices now, and they're goin' to be listened to. Puttin' them in jail is not goin' to stop them! That's the power of the press, Joe. So thanks for teachin' me about it," Jack said before closing the window.

"Those kids put out a pretty good paper there, chief," Seitz said as Pulitzer picked up the paper and started reading it.

"I ordered a printing ban on all strike matters. Now, who defied me? Who's press did you print this on? Who's," Pulitzer asked.
"Well, we only used the best, Joe. So, I just want to say thanks, again," Jack answered before leaving with David.

David walked out and Jack followed behind. The newsies gathered around then and started asking questions. Jack bent over and whispered in Les' ear.

"The strike's over. We beat 'em," Jack said while putting Les on his shoulders. "We beat 'em!"

The crowd of newsies cheered triumphantly. A wagon pulled up. Snyder was sitting in the front with two cops.

"Jack! Jack, It's the bulls. It's the bulls. Let me down," Les said as he put him down.

"Hide Jack," Kid Blink said.

"Jack, it's over. No, no. You don't have to run. Not anymore. Not from the likes of him. Come on, come on," Denton said.

A cop opened the wagon and kids from the Refuge came out. The last one was Crutchy, who made the newsies cheer. A cop led Snyder into the wagon.