Chapter 10: Once and For All

It was a new day. The newsies were picketing outside of the World. Abby wasn't with them since she had to help her grandmother with something. Weasel led Jack out. Jack was wearing a new suit.

"Just tell me I'm seein' things. Just tell me I'm seein' things," Spot said.
"No, you ain't seein' things. That's Jack. What's he doin'," Racetrack asked.
"He's dressed like a scabber," Spot answered.

"Jack? Jack, look at me, will ya? Come on, it's me, Mush. Look at me. What are you doin', Jack," the newsie asked.

"This ain't happenin'. This can't be happenin'. What are you doin', Jack? Come on, what are you doin'," Kid Blink asked.

"Come on. What's this? Where'd you get them clothes," Boots asked.
"Mr. Pulitzer picked them out himself. A special gift to a special new employee," Weasel replied.

"He sold us out," Spot said.

"I'll give you a new suit! You bum! I'll soak ya," Racetrack shouted.

"Hey, hey, hey! Let me get my hands dirty. Come here you dirty rotten scabber! Traitor," Spot yelled while some newsies held him back.

David stared Jack down and walked up to him.

"So, this is why you didn't escape last night. You're a liar! You lied about everything! You lied about your father being out west, 'cause he's not out west! You didn't even tell me your real name," David yelled.
"So? What do you want to do about it, Dave," Jack asked.
"I don't understand you," David answered.
"Oh, so let me spell it out for ya. You see, I ain't got nobody tuckin' me in at night, like you. It's just me, I gotta look out for myself," Jack said.
"You had the newsies," David said.
"Oh, what'd bein' a newsie ever give me but a dime a day and a few black eyes? You know, I can't afford to be a kid no more, Dave. For the first time in my life, I got money in my pockets. Real money. Money, you understand? I got more on the way and as soon as I collect, I'm gone, I'm away. Alright," Jack asked.
"What about Abby? What about her feelings? Just wait until I tell her about this! She'll be heartbroken. She loves you, Jack! Think of her," David told him.
"I love her, but she'll find her way in the world," he said.
"Well, that's good. That's good because we don't need you! We don't need you! All those words you said, those were mine," David said.
"Yeah, but you never had the guts to put them across yourself, did ya," Jack asked.
"I do now," David replied before heading back to the newsies and getting a look at Jack.
"What's the matter? Got a problem," Jack asked.

David attempted to take a swing at Jack but was pulled away by some newsies. The newsies yelled various things at Jack. David and Les left and headed over to Abby's mansion. David was looking around and Les was laying on Abby's bed as she was looking through things and found Denton's article.

"Dave, It's Denton's article. 'The Dark Truth: Why Our City Really Fears The Newsies Strike' by Bryan Denton. 'Last night, I saw naked force exercised against mere boys, the newsies, who were...," Abby said while reading the piece of paper.

David got angry and headed onto the balcony that Abby had and slammed the door.

"I don't see his problem. It's good," Les said while referring to Denton's article.
"Dave's probably angry about something," Abby said.
"Your bed is really comfy, Abby," Les said.
"I know," she said. "I'll go see what his problem is. Don't go through my stuff, Les."
"Okay," he said before Abby walked onto her balcony.