Break Away-4

A hand covered my mouth, and I was yanked backwards. Something pressed me against the wall, and shushed me.

I looked up, and saw mother placing a finger to her lips. Her green eyes darted to the door, and I heard shuffling.

The wooden door opened, but we were hidden in the shadows.

"What is it?"The husky man from earlier asked.

"I thought I saw........I don't know."Thie voice was higher than the mans, but it didn't sound like a girl.

"Never mind."Said the voice, and the door shut.

Mom and I sighed in relief. That was close. Too close.

Mom smacked the back of my head,"You could have got in trouble."She hissed quietly.

I groaned and rubbed the spot she smacked,"You're the one who left me."

She took my hand, and began pulling me back down the way I'd came. we came back to the fork, and mom took me the other way I'd went.

I could tell how tense she was, and how angry she was. It wasn't my fault. She was the one who wouldn't wait up.  I now had so many questions my head might just explode.

We came upon a steel door. The hall seemed to get even colder than before. Mom opened the door, and it made a loud creaking sound. When we walked in she shut the door behind me, locking it. The room was lit with white candels, that had hardened wax driping down the sides. A wooden desk was placed in the middle of the room with books stacked on top. A wooden chair was placed behind the desk.  Bookshelves stood against the wall, and the wall color was a dark wine red. The room was a musky smell.  There was a long couch with green velvet padding. The hair was made of wood under the fabric, and it was carved with specific design.

"What is this place?"I whispered as I walked to the book shelves.

There were maps on the walls next to the book shelves. I ran my fingers across the spines of the books, and read each of the titles.

"This is my study."Mom said. She hung next to the door, taking in my happiness.

"Does Head Mistress know about this place?"I whispered.

"No. You and I are the only ones now. I found it when I followed Aleena down here once. "Mom whispered, and walked to her desk. She sat down a picked up and old book, wiping the dust off it.

"I love it."I whispered.

"It's yours now."Mom said looking up at me.

Her eyes were full of pride, but a since of sadness.

"What are you talking about?"I whispered.

Mom tapped her fingers nervously on the desk, and bit her lip. She took a shaky breath, and turned to me. Tears were welling up in her eyes. I didn't understand.

She just shook her head,"Aleena said your getting too old to have me around. I have to leave soon."

I looked at her. I knew what leaving meant. It meant never getting to see me again. I'd be motherless. Just like the rest of the kids.

"When?"I whispered.

"Next month."She said with a long sigh.

She leaned her head down on the desk. Sometimes mom acted just as much as teenager as I did. I could hear her crying silenetly.

I've never cried. Not once. I walked to her, and put my hand on my back, getting on my knees, and lifted her face. Mom was always a happy person, and to see her so...so broken. It hurt.

"It'll be OK mom."I whispered whiping the wetness from face.

"Promise that after you get out you'll come see me."She whispered.

"OK."

She gripped my shoulders,"Promise me! You're all I have Maria."

I nodded,"I promise."

She hugged me against her chest, pulling me close,"I love you Mia."She whispered.

The sudden use of my old nickname made my heart break in half. She hand't called me that since I was a small baby.

"I love you too."

Mom began to sniffle, and let me go, wiping her runny nose,"You need to get in bed."

I nodded,"Yes Ma'am."I whispered,"Oh, before I go I want to get your opinion on something."

I dug in my pockets, and found the old photo. I turned grabbing one of the wax candels, and brought it to the desk, and sat it in a brass holder. I laid down the photo, and placed the candel next to it. Mom bent her neck down to look, and her eyes widened.

 She snatched up the photo, and turned to me,"Where did you get this?"

"I found it when I was cleaning the attic."I whispered.

"You should have never found this."She said stuffing the picture in her pocket,"Let's go. Now."

"Mom, I still have so many questions though!"I said as she blew out the candle, and began pushing me backwards.

"Every question you have will be answered in the books."She said.

She opened the door, and grabbed my hand leading me out of there. She took me back up to the library, and walked me to my room. She tucked me in, and I quickly tried my best to fall asleep. All the question kept swimming through my mind. I need answers. Now.