Break Away-3

After today's ceremony, we all congratulated Elica. She had only flinched a little, but it's OK. She's still learning anyways.

The littler ones, are the ones to cry. The first two times they do it, it's accepted, after that it's heads off.

"Maria."Mom said walking up next to me as we were in our lines for repast. We weren't allowed to talk so I wasn't quite sure why she was talking to me.

"Maria!"Mom hissed.

"What?"I whispered.

"I need to talk to you in the library after lights out."She whispered.

"Are you crazy!"I said, my eyes bulging at her. She stood in front of me, walking solemnly.

"You won't get caught. Head Mistress and Ms.Hidie have a meeting with the men tonight."Mom whispered.

"Stop talking!"A woman yelled.

I kept my lips shut, and felt a nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach. I did not want to get caught when lights were out. It'd never been done before, or someone hasn't got caught. We'd never discussed the consequences.  I couldn't believe Head Mistress would even associate with men. They're dirty evil beings. Of course there was the fact that I had no idea what these 'men' look like.

I wondered what it was like. To be on the other half of the world. I wondered if their Academys' were as hard as ours? Or if they looked like us? Did they talk like us?

I put the thought in a file in the back of my brain, and sat down with my food. As repast began I had to struggle to keep up. I was so lost in thought about all else things that the girls would get a head of me. Every time I slacked off one lady would rap my knuckles with a stick. Of course the stick pulled flesh, and stung, but it was nothing. I'd had worse injuries.

When repast got over with we were sent to our dorms to get ready for bed. I went into the closet to change my clothing, when really I just put on my nightie over my dress. I didn't want to let Lily see that'd I'd actually be leaving. She'd for sure tell on me.

My closet had the same gray dress made from wool hung. It had the same black clunky shoes, and white knee high frilly socks. The only thing that was one of a kind was my brown petticoat for when things got chilly outside. I'd only been outside once. I saw large winged things flying about, and flowers. I saw the sun shining bright, and at night the sun disappears. It's replaced with some glowing white orb. I believed it a giant over grown star, but other girls insisted that it was another planet.

I wonder if there are other things out there. Other creatures roaming spheres of gas. I wasn't sure what the sun was either. It looked like a flashlight. Maybe it was actually a giant flashlight being shined down on us. Maybe it was God from the Bible. I wondered who wrote the Bible. It talked of Earth. I wasn't sure on what 'Earth' was, and I thought it must've been some extinct rare specie of dog. It did sound like one. The Bible also talked of men and woman being together. Adam and Eve. I couldn't believe of any woman being with an evil man.

"Maria it's time for bed."Lily whispered.

I looked at her, and took off the cords from my tab. I set the thing under my pillow an turned on my side. I had to watch for when Lily's falls asleep. I was curious to see what she wanted to talk about. The photo would be good now to show her. I wondered the words that would escape her lips. What'd she think of. Her facial expression, and her body movement.

I heard the soft whispers of Lily's slumber, and I rose from my bed. I took off my nightie, but let my hair flow down around my waist. I walked to the door, and gave one last look at the sleeping child, afraid it could very well possibly be my last.