Eight

"They're all settled in," Aaron said gently to Mary, "all of them."
Mary nodded back at him, then hugged the man tightly. "They're okay?"
"They're fine." Aaron promised, kissing the top of Mary's head.
"Thanks for getting them settled. I just... Needed some time alone, I guess."
"That's fine. That's okay, honey, don't worry."
"Imma go to bed," Mary smiled tiredly, "I'll see you tomorrow."
Mary went into her room, and crawled out of the window, sitting on the rooftop, and looking at the stars, the crisp air swallowing her
"Nice night." A voice said suddenly, and Mary turned her hair to see Jennie, sat on the roof of the other house.
"You found my secret spot." Mary smiled softly, and Jennie laughed.
"I'm sorry. I'll go if you wanna be alone. I didn't know."
"No, it's fine. Nice." Mary assured, and Jennie climbed over to Mary's roof; she was thankful the massive houses were terraced. The pair sat in silence for a while, staring at the stars, until Mary spoke up again.
"It's the once place I feel free," she began, "here, and out in the woods. Sometimes I feel like I'm not built for life in these walls. I feel safe outside. Happier. I guess it's from being on the run for so long."
"How old was you when you found this place?"
"Almost six. But there's been plenty of moving around and nights in the woods since then."
"We were in the refugee camps at the start," Jennie explained, "we got there about a week in. It was... Just before Sophie died. It only lasted a week. It got overrun, and we lost everything all over again. They we were out on the run, just going house to house, for a few years. Managed to hole up in a hospital for a year. That was good for Sam. Then we lost that, and found a community in this old warehouse. Stayed there for about four years. That was good. Stable. Then we lost that too. Been out there ever since."
"How'd... How did you lose your arm?" Mary asked softly, looking at Jennie's right arm - it was amputated just above the elbow joint.
"Bite. About five years ago now. Why.. Why'd you help us? When you knew your mom was against it?"
"Because sometimes kids have to show our parents the way."

"Hey! Tweedledumb, tweedledee, get over here."
"Mary! I lost my monkey." RJ whined tearfully, the six year old walking over to her with wide, sad eyes. Mary laughed, and picked up her little brother. She loved that, at six, he was like a five year old. When she was six, she was practically sixteen.
"I love you so much." She chuckled, kissing the side of his head.
"But my monkey."
"Which monkey? The green monkey?"
"Yeah. Carl Monkey." RJ pointed out, and Mary smiled softly.
"Yeah, you left him in my bed after you crawled in there last night."
"I had a bad dream."
"I know, baby. It's okay. Everyone gets bad dreams. You ready to tell me what it was about?"
"I dreamed that mama died."
"C'mon, you know that mama will not die for a very very long time. Don't worry about her."
"I had a dream about Daddy the other night." RJ whispered, as Mary walked up the stairs, into her room.
"Yeah?" Mary whispered shakily, her stomach twisting.
"Yeah. He had long curly hair, not short hair. I think he suits long hair bestest. We played trains."
"That's a good dream." Mary nodded, passing him the monkey. "Judith! Where are you! Are those shoes on?!" Mary shouted.
"Yeah! Jeez." Judith sighed, walking out of the bathroom, combing her hair.
"Had breakfast?"
"Yep, took Negan some too."
"Mary made me pancakes." RJ grinned to Judith, and she rolled her eyes.
"Alright, Miss Sassy." Mary laughed. "Right, mister, shoes on. Run, run, run. Miss Jo won't wait forever. You'll be in trouble for being late to school."
"Are the new people coming to school?" Judith asked excitedly, and RJ's ears pricked up at the sound of that, as he fastened the Velcro on his trainers.
"They won't be in your class, Jude. There's only three kids, and the twins are my age, and Holly's a year older than Jay."
"That's crap." Judith mumbled, and Mary laughed.
"So will Holly be in my class today!?" RJ asked excitedly, and Mary laughed softly.
"Nah, it's Friday. They'll start back on Monday," Mary explained, "Jay-Jay, come on buddy. Let's go. Go kiss mommy goodbye."
"Momma!" RJ screamed, and Michonne ran downstairs, worry in her eyes.
"What? What's wrong?"
"Bye." RJ smiled angelically, and Michonne rolled her eyes, then kissed RJ's forehead a dozen times.
"Bye." Michonne smiled to Judith, then Mary, kissing each of them, then they left, Judith grabbing Gracie on her way.
"I'm so excited to meet the new girl." Gracie grinned, and Mary laughed softly; the new group was the talk of Alexandria.
"Yeah, she seems like a sweetheart." Mary nodded, but it was a lie - she's barely spent any time with anyone in the group who wasn't Toby or Jennie. To be fair to the child, she did seem sweet, but Mary had spoken to her once, and she could tell that Holly was as shy as she herself was.
"I love you." RJ said suddenly, reaching up and grabbing Mary's hand, and Mary grinned down at him.
"I love you too."