Chapter Seventeen, Part One - Love and Hate

Chapter Seventeen

Love and Hate

"I'm Riley's Familiar," admitted Lana, as we entered the school together.

            She hadn't yet further explained her admission that the Scavenger had been at the school the entire time - right beneath our noses - but I found myself to be in a rather patient mood. There was no rush to get answers. Not when they were falling right into my lap.

            "Really?" I asked. "But I thought only animals were Familiars. You know, cats, bats, frogs, etcetera."

            "Ahh yes - a common misconception, but a misconception none the less. Humans can be Familiars too. Actually, I think it's a lot easier for Witches and Warlocks to have Human Familiars. Animals are messy. And gross."

            "Well, he might be a Warlock but he's not a very good one if you ask me. Bested by a girl who's new to her powers? Tsk, tsk."

            "Hey, Riley's new to all of this too,"

            "Sorry, I guess I just don't understand why you'd do something like that for him. No offense, but Riley's kind of a dick."

            Once again, Margot flushed bright red.

            "He's better once you get to know him. Underneath he's really sweet, and caring, and thoughtful... He's not all bad. Plus he's got really good taste in clothes - what?"

            Noticing how hard I was staring, Margot stopped short in the middle of the hallway.

            "You like him," I accused.

            "We work together," she sniffed. "We have business,"

            "Mostly business," I corrected. "Lana - you like him."

            "Ok, so I do," she retorted. "And I also happen to enjoy seeing him in one piece. You gave him a concussion, ya know."

            "He deserved it," I replied, not feeling the least bit sorry. "Even Duncan and Juliette said so. Besides, I thought he had done something bad to you. How was I supposed to know you weren't really in trouble?"

            Lana gave me a bitter smile.

            "I know - they told me. And I have to admit, no one's ever stuck up for me before. Especially not to The Society. So thank you."

            "You're welcome," I replied, easily slipping back into that old, familiar smile. It seemed the road to forgiveness may have been a short one after all. "Now, let's do this."