Chapter Eight, Part Three - What Dreams May Come

"I asked you first," I said, standing slowly to my feet. I looked down, suddenly noticing that not only was I completely dry, but similarly clothed as well (minus the Subzero mask and accompanying headgear).

            "Do you think that you're special, because you're unaligned?" Asked the stranger, in a deadly voice. "You are as treacherous as the Sorcerer – a traitor and an outlaw in both courts. And you give him aid – why?"

            I thought hard and fast. Whoever she was she wanted Westley and would clearly take down anyone that stood in her way. But which choice was more dangerous? Protecting him? Or turning him in?

            "You're the Ice Queen's Knight, aren't you?" I demanded. "You're here to kill Westley."

            The figure in the mask raised her head slightly, considering, but silent.

            "But why do you need me to get to him? Why not just track him down yourself?"

            "True, I am close," she replied in amusement, and I could just picture her smirk. "However, his Glamour is strong. It shields him from me... but I can still get close to you."

             She began to stride forward again and in response I held up my hands and stepped back.

            "Wait!" I ordered. "Whatever it is you think, I'm not your enemy. You don't have to do this."

            "And you don't have to protect a fugitive,"

            "I'm not... protecting him. I'm –"

            But no other word came to mind.

            I watched as the Knight place her right hand at her side and the next thing I knew she had unsheathed a sword from thin air, just as Westley had. Except this sword was completely silver, with strange symbols etched along the blade. And the fact that it was on fire? Yes, that was also a little unexpected.

            "Do you know what this is, Tamsyn?"

            The Knight lifted the sword, seemingly in admiration but definitely in warning.

            I didn't answer.

            "It's called a Blade of Woe – one of the very few things that can kill a member of the High Fae. I wonder... does your Sorcerer have one of these?"

            "Well... not to my knowledge... No," I replied with a small gulp.

            The Knight laughed – a sound that was short and condescending.

            "I'll ask you one... more... time. Where can I find the Sorcerer?"

            I closed my eyes and bit my lip, debating one last time before giving her my answer.

            "I'm sorry... but I can't tell you anything. I need him. He has answers. He knows things about my past –"

            "Don't you get it? He is the destruction of your past, Tamsyn! He has ruined both of our lives and yet you defend him –"

            "What're you talking about? Damnit, who are you?"

            "I've done enough talking. You know nothing relevant. I think it's pretty clear that you're as useless as a real Human."