4.1 //The Girl Who Knew Too Much//

Safe, surrounded by too many friends to count, I smiled as mom placed the cake on the table. The pendant at her neck was electric blue, glinting; her long locks were half-tied, and only half-bright as her smile.

"Happy birthday, sweetheart. We love you so much." She kissed my forehead.

Blessed, I took a deep breath and blew out the candles...

Time flew.

I was standing at my dresser, combing out my curls, wondering how in the world I got there.

The last thing I remembered was candles - and mom.

But that wasn't right.

I stopped combing and frowned, staring hard at my stationary reflection...

"Honey?" Mom poked her head in my door, a mixing bowl and a whisk in her hands. The scent of vanilla wafted after her. She smiled. "Kai's waiting downstairs."

"Kai? Don't you mean Dean?"

"Who's Dean, sweety?"

I opened my mouth... and couldn't find the words. "I-I don't know."

Mom shrugged; I shrugged back, returning to my makeup as she left. Adjusting my mascara, I lowered the tube, caught off guard by the sapphire glinting in the mirror. It was wrapped around the bedpost, a curious shade of blue, with a shine so beautiful you couldn't bear to look away...

But when I turned, it had disappeared...

Downstairs, I passed Dad and Margot at the kitchen table. They were sharing a plate of cookies as they competed in an intense round of Boggle.

"Time's running out for you, honey! Don't stay out too late!" Dad didn't bother to look up from his pad, writing feverishly as the sands in the giant hourglass shifted.

"But... you guys aren't fighting."

"Silly." A pig-tailed Margot chuckled. She wore a baby-doll dress, her face painted like a clown. "Why would we be?" 

I left, thoroughly confused.