Chapter 7: Midnight Calls

“And long story short. I got the job guys.” Geralt announced.

“Wait. Just like that you got the job? Damn that was easy. Congrats.” Lambert said.

“Yeah. Geralt, we’re proud of you. Congratulations.” Eskel chimed in.

“Even though you were the only one who applied.”

“Lambert.” Eskel warned.

“Seems kinda off though. I’m going to investigate while I’m there.” Geralt said. It made no sense. There was just something wrong with that place. The lack of security for Jaskier? Even one would be enough but there was no one. He really had to be on the lookout for anything strange. Or else.

“Easy, Geralt. I know you do. But you just got the job.” Eskel reminded him, “So your number one priority is Julian. Repeat after me Geralt. Julian is my number one priority.”

“No, it’s weird. I know he is my primary priority. But there’s something off with that company.” Geralt explained.

There certainly was. How was it that no one else applied or there weren’t any security for Jaskier? Poor Jaskier, he really changed from the last time he saw him twelve years ago. It shattered his heart, seeing his friend all insecure and broke. Back at the lounge, when he laid his eyes on Jaskier, he wanted to pull Jaskier in his arms and tell him everything was going to be alright. Wait what? He had no idea where that thought came from. The last time he thought about that was back in high school, the time when they were so close, like brothers. It was nothing romantic, it was more like Eskel’s brotherly instincts. Yeah, that's what it was. Something like that did occur in the past. When he comforted Jaskier from jerks in high school. Back then, Jaskier was full of confidence and was often in a cheery mood. Hell, bullies didn't even bring him down. Okay, maybe there were a few hurtful exceptions. But, he never saw Jaskier like that. Did he do that? Was he the reason for Jaskier’s recent attitude? He really had to do something about that.

“Geralt, I know that you hate those kinds of people. I’m not including your friend. Maybe you’re just exaggerating. It’s just how it is in showbiz.” Lambert explained, crossing his arms and leaning back on the wall.

“I think Geralt’s onto something. It was weird that nobody else applied.”

“Well, maybe they didn’t like the singer. No offense, Geralt.” Lambert said, holding both his hands up in defense.

Geralt shook his head. “That’s not it. He’s a good person. I know that.”

Lambert scoffed, “How can you be so sure Geralt? After so many years, you think he’s still a good person?” Geralt shot him a glare, “Come on, man. Let’s be real. He’s not the same person you knew back then and so are you.”

“Sure we’re different people from back then. But I’m sure that Jaskier is a good person. I can see it in his eyes.” Geralt explained, his hands gripped onto the sofa tightly. He swore he could feel his anger rising. Why was he getting upset? Was it the way Lambert trash-talked Jaskier? Fuck, of course it was.