Part one

Adaline was struggling. After losing her dad seven years ago, she spiraled into darkness. She tried her best to hide the fact that she wasn't okay, but it got harder every day.

"Addie, come downstairs or you're going to be late for school!" Adaline's mom called her out of her depressing thoughts.

As she walked down the stairs, she made sure to plant a kiss on the digital hologram picture of her dad that they had by the stairs. Technology was advancing, and it was easy to get things like holograms for your house.

As she hurried and scarfed down her breakfast, she quickly wiped her mouth, said goodbye to her mother, and walked out the front door.

Most people avoided Adaline like the plague of 2020 they learned about in their textbooks. She wasn't popular, and everyone blamed her for her father's death. They bullied and teased her relentlessly, about killing her father, even though he died peacefully in his sleep.

As Adaline made her way to her locker to pick up her books, she accidentally ran into someone, sending herself crashing to the floor.

"I'm so sorry! I wasn't looking where I was goi-" she was cut of by this boy who she crashed into.

"Don't worry about it! I wasn't looking either so we can share that blame! Besides, I'm not the one that fell on the floor." He says while extending a hand to help Adaline up.

As Adaline looks into his eyes, she finds herself unable to look away. His eyes were the brightest shade of blue she had ever seen. Of course, she new that this trait was very common in mutants, but she didn't realize how you could get lost in the electric blue eyes each mutant had.

"Where are my manners?? I'm Elliot, and you are?" Elliot asks while Adaline stands up.

"I'm Adaline." She says, forcing herself to look away from his enchanting eyes.

~~~

As the rest of the day went on, Adaline found herself constantly thinking about Elliot. What she didn't know, was that Elliot was also thinking about her all day as well. For some reason, Adaline and Elliot felt drawn to one another.

As the school day ended, Adaline made her way back to her locker to pick up her notes, and when she got there, a familiar face was waiting for her.

"Hello Elliot!" Adaline says brightly.

"Hello Adaline!" Elliot responds in a similar manner.

"I was wondering if you wanted to go out for dinner tonight. I thought it would be a nice way for us to become friends!" Elliot says to Adaline.

"I would love to!" Adaline responds with a slight smile on her face.

As they say goodbye to one another, Adaline raced home to avoid the bullies.

~~~

As Adaline got home, she pulls out her homework to get an early start, while turning on the news. She was only half paying attention to the news when she heard something that caught her attention.

"-the radiation might be coming back. We have set reinforcements to check out the suspected area, and we'll know soon enough. We don't know what the radiation would do to our already radiated bodies, but whatever it is, it won't be good."

The Radiation is coming back??!! Adaline didn't want to miss anymore important news so she put her homework away to work on later. She spent the rest of the afternoon watching the news until Elliot knocked on her front door.

When Elliot finally came, she tried her best not to look as frightened as she felt.

"What's wrong?" Elliot asks as soon as he sees Addie, as if he could read her mind-which there was a possibility that he could, considering he's a mutant after all.

So, instead of lying-which Addie considered a bit too much- she simply told him the truth.

"I was watching the news, and it said the radiation is coming back!! What's gonna happen to us?!" She practically screamed.

"Hey, it's going to be okay!" He pulls her in for a comforting embrace.

This hug gives her a sense of comfort she hadn't realized she longed for. Addie quickly sank into this feeling, never wanting to leave his strong hands. He pulls away after a few minutes, taking his warmth with him.

"Well," he says with a slight smile, "how about dinner?"

~~~

After two months, no more news of the radiation has spread. Adaline had almost 100% convinced herself that she was just dreaming the whole thing up. Elliot and Adaline became best friends soon after their dinner together, a few months prior.

As Adaline grabbed her bags from her locker, she sees Elliot walk up to her from the corner of her eye.

"Do you want to come over to my house, Addie?" Elliot asked while getting his own things from the locker next to Adalines.

"Yeah, let me just text my mom that I'm headed to your house."

Adaline quickly texts her mom, informing her where she was going. Her mom responded kindly, telling her to be home for dinner.

As Adaline puts her phone away, she grabs Elliot's hand, and together they walked the short distance to Elliot's house, happier then they had been in a long time.

Thank you so much for reading!! Make sure to vote, comment and follow me for updates!!

Also, this will probably be the longest chapter of this whole story. This chapter was nearing 1,000 words!!

There will only be 4 parts, because this is only a short story. I originally wrote a sample of this for a church youth group activity, and decided to write a longer-ish story about it.

Hope you like it!