12 - Ride Or Die

HE WAS TERRIBLY SICK, AND LUNA DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO TO HELP HIM. 

Her father had been in bed for a week, coughing and vomiting endlessly. He had a high fever yet he was shivering like crazy, and he looked cold despite the fact that he was laying under six blankets. None of the people in the house knew what had caused his sickness, but it was bad, and everyone was worried about him. Valentín Reyes just didn't get sick - at least, not like this. 

So now, as Luna carried a bowl of soup into her parents' bedroom, she winced when she heard her father begin yet another round of violent coughing. She knew that he needed to go to the hospital if it got any worse, but she also knew her father would most likely refuse. He didn't want his records to be brought up at the hospital, since it might expose him and reveal his location to the cops. 

"Here, Papá," Luna said as she entered the room. "I brought you some soup." 

"Ah," her father said with a nod. "Gracias, Luna." 

Luna sat down beside him, handing him the bowl and a spoon. He took the bowl, then began taking small spoonfuls, eating slowly as Luna watched him - just in case he threw up again. 

"There's something I need you to do for me," Valentín said after a few minutes. 

Luna nodded. "Of course, what is it?" 

"There's a job coming up soon," he said. "It's a big one, and we can't do it alone, so I've called for some help from the El Tigres. I need you to go there and do the job for me, since I can't do it myself." 

Luna's eyes went wide. "No, Papá, I can't-" 

"Luna," Valentín said firmly. "No es uno de esos trabajos. Your role is just an escort for the gang's second in command, Felix, as he goes to collect and trade information with the Reapers. I picked you for this job because we all know how good you are at driving, so you'd know how to get out of there if things went wrong. And besides, I already had Mateo go ahead and tell them that you were taking my place. So this is final." 

Luna sighed, shaking her head. "Are Mateo and Jazmín coming with me?" 

Valentín nodded. "Of course. I wouldn't have you go into one of these things alone." 

Luna's shoulders sagged as she realized she didn't have an option. "Alright, fine. When's the job?" 

"Tonight at sundown," her father replied. "No llegues tarde, okay?" 

Luna nodded. "I won't." 

"Good." Valentin nodded back. "Go get ready, I need you to be out and on the road in ten minutes." 

Luna exhaled softly, standing up and walking out of the room. As soon as she left the room, however, her phone vibrated. So she took it out, inwardly groaning when she saw it was Miles. As much as she appreciated his friendship, right now was not the best time to talk. But still, she answered anyway, lifting the phone up to her ear and forcing a good mood as she said, "Hey, Miles." 

"Hey, Luna," Miles greeted. "What's up?"

"Nothing much," Luna said as she walked into her room. "Just taking care of my dad." 

"Why?" Miles asked. "Is everything ok?

"He's just sick," Luna said, shrugging even though he couldn't see her. "Estoy bastante segura de que es la gripe. But he doesn't want to go to the hospital, so he's in bed till he gets better." 

"Why doesn't he want to go to the hospital?" Miles asked. 

Luna wanted to tell him the real answer: that going to the hospital would bring up her father's medical records and could possibly reveal him to the cops. But she knew better; she couldn't tell him anything. So she shrugged again, changing into her job clothes as she prepared to get ready to leave. "No tengo la mínima idea. Personal reasons, I guess."