11 - Dance With Me

THE FEELING OF HER PHONE VIBRATING AGAINST HER CHEST ABRUPTLY JOLTED LUNA OUT OF HER SLEEP. She sat up with a soft gasp, her heart pounding in surprise, before she looked around and realized that she had fallen asleep in the main room after staying up late to watch the door. Her father had told her that there had been a possibility that a rival gang had found out where the Big House was, and even though Luna wasn't much of a "stay up and keep a lookout" person, she had offered to keep watch until the threat had passed. A BB gun disguised as a regular handgun lay untouched on the coffee table - Luna's only source of self-defense in case someone did ambush them - and a knife sat right next to it just in case.

Even though Luna was in a gang (and however much she knew it would get her killed), she refused to ever use a gun. It wasn't just the fact that her aim was horrible, but also the fact that she hated the weapons. Guns were an abrupt and brutal way to die, and despite the fact that many gangs used guns to survive, it went against Luna's morals to kill someone using one.

Luna looked around, seeing that the house was empty, and she was surprised to see that it was getting close to sundown, which meant she had slept for a couple hours. But thankfully, everything was still there, and nothing had been damaged, which meant that no one had found them. So Luna lifted her phone, seeing that it was two missed calls from Miles. Worried that something had happened, she quickly called him back and lifted the phone to her ear.

"This be Miles," Miles said, answering on the second ring.

"Miles?" Luna said. "I'm sorry I missed your calls, I was keeping-" She stopped herself. "I was busy. But anyway, what's wrong, is everything okay?"

"Everything's fine," Miles replied. "I just... I wanted to make sure you're alright, see how you're doing."

Luna smiled, touched by his concern. "Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks."

"You sure?" Miles asked. "How's your side?"

Luna's smile widened. "It's fine. Everything's healing up pretty nicely, but Mom says I'm probably gonna have a scar."

"Lucky you," Miles said. "Scars are badass."

"Yeah, and they make you stronger," Luna agreed.

"Girl, don't tell me you're quoting that bloodthirsty monkey from Dawn of the Planet of the Apes," Miles said jokingly.

Luna laughed. "No, I'm quoting my dad."

"So your dad is quoting the monkey."

Luna laughed again, shaking her head as she rolled her eyes. "Eres un gran perdedor."

"Yes, I'm aware," Miles replied.

Luna shook her head, unable to keep the smile off her face at his response. This was one of the reasons why she loved Miles' friendship - he always knew how to make her smile even when he had no idea what had her so upset.

"Hey, you wanna hang out for a little bit?" Miles suddenly blurted.

Luna frowned. "Uh, sure. When do you want to meet up?"

"Is right now okay?" Miles asked.

Luna frowned even more, confused by his sudden desire to hang out with her. But she did need the distraction, so she nodded and stood up. "Yeah, that's fine. Where do you wanna go?"

"Can you come to my place?" Miles suggested. "I'm kinda stuck here while my parents are out on their shifts."

Luna smiled. "Sure, tu pequeño ermitaño."