1 - A Savage With A Heart

12 YEARS LATER...

THE LOUD, MONOTONOUS BEEPING OF HER ALARM CLOCK ABRUPTLY BROUGHT LUNA OUT OF HER PEACEFUL SLEEP. A groan escaped from her lips as she rolled over onto her stomach and looked at the time, which read 6am. She definitely was not built to be up this early.

Annoyed, Luna bashed her fist on the alarm to turn it off, then pulled the blankets back up over her head. But she had only just started to doze off when the door flew open, and there was the patter of feet before a heavy lump landed right beside her. Then, a pair of hands began to shake her shoulders as a voice whined, "Wake up, Luna! C'mon, wake up!"

Luna groaned again, rolling over to one side to glance at her eleven-year-old sister, Rubi, before rolling back onto her stomach. "Rubi, es muy temprano para esto. Go back to sleep."

"It's not too early, the sun is up, see?" Rubi pointed to the window, which had sunlight peeking through the curtains. "And besides, you promised that we'd go out first thing this morning! C'mon, breaking promises is bad!"

"I did promise that, didn't I," Luna muttered to herself, then said to Rubi, "Seriously, can't you give me like, five more minutes?"

"Luuunnnaaaaaa," Rubi whined. When Luna looked at her again, Rubi humphed and crossed her arms. "C'mon, Luna, you promised."

Luna sighed, nodding at her. "Alright, alright. Dame media hora para prepararme, okay?"

"I'll give you twenty minutes," Rubi said firmly. "And yes, I'll time you."

Luna huffed. "Fine, you little hustler. Now get out, I'll be there in twenty."

Rubi whooped in victory before jumping off the bed and running out of the room. Luna, however, just groaned for a third time and slowly sat up, then stretched her arms up above her head as she let out a jaw-cracking yawn. Running a hand through her hair, her eyes drifted over to the small picture frame on her nightstand. It was photo she had taken of herself and Miles, standing in front of one of the walls they had painted. Luna was hiding her face in Miles' neck to mask her laughter as Miles made a goofy face for the camera. It had been taken when they were in middle school, and it was her favorite photo of the two of them.

Smiling to herself, Luna reached out and grabbed her phone, then brought up her friend's number before pressing the call button. Then, she put her phone on speaker and set it back down on the nightstand before getting up to get dressed.

"Well, someone's up early," Miles said, answering on the third ring.

"Good morning to you too," Luna replied sarcastically.

Miles laughed. "Good morning, Luna. But seriously, you're never up this early on a Saturday."

"Blame Rubi," Luna said. "I promised we'd go out first thing this morning."

"Well, if you're the one who promised that, then it's technically your fault," Miles told her.

Luna rolled her eyes, knowing very well that Miles was smiling on the other end of the line. "Great, make me feel worse than I already do. Thanks a lot, Miles."

"You're welcome."

"Eres una perra, you know that?"