Part I: Chapter 11, A New Land

“Land ho. Land ho.”

Zain awoke to shouts of Lord Vangle’s envoys spurred on by the captain of the ship, Aeneas Khréos. Wooden footsteps ran rampant outside and on top of his room. Behind, the sloshing of waves woke Zain and made him aware of the Aeneas’ eagle, Reyson, singing the song of land to the air. Pulling on a pair of trousers, he exited his room. When gusts of air hit him it expanded his black shirt slashed at the sleeves and made it look a size too large.

Above deck, Zain found the majority of the crew on the bow of the ship. Maneuvering his way past he made it to where, Bern Denardi, held a large wheel decorated in gold and bronze. An eagle squawked up above, took its flight higher and turned around to dash to its landing on Aeneas’ leathered arm as he stood leaning over the front of the ship. Zain could hardly see blue due to the amount of people on the front of the ship. Soon, Bern yelled at them to retreat to the main deck, reserving the spot for Aeneas and he. Gerald held Zain tight when he turned to leave.  

While Aeneas and Bern yelled orders, Zain said to Gerald, “I don’t see any land.”

“He sees with his eagle eyes.” Gerald pointed to his eyes. “The power of being bonded I suppose…or curse as some see it.”

Curse, Zain thought, how could bonding with an animal be a curse? They give you extraordinary abilities. When still a boy, Zain heard that everyone, denied or blessed, had an animal they could bond with. It was just the matter of finding it—a task in itself. 

When finished ordering the others, the crew left, leaving just the four of them. Aeneas turned to them in a coat as vibrant as a peacock’s tail. Plush feathers snaked around his arms and a ruched white undershirt held all of his jewelry as extravagant as his coat.  “We’ll be docking at the Northern Port in Liom.” Aeneas twirled his necklaces by his fingers.

“Midday you say?” Gerald asked.

“If Anemie is good to us even sooner. From there it’s a four hour ride to Mendeck and then perhaps even an hour more once you reach the city traffic,” said Aeneas. “Bern, more southbound we’ll miss it if we continue course.”

“Aye, Captain.”

Aeneas turned to Zain his eyes as red as his eagles. In a second they changed to a dull brown that did not befit the extravagance of his coat or jewelry. “How long shall we dock for?”

“Lord Vangle is allowing us a week’s time,” Gerald said after Zain remained silent.

“Will that be enough time?”

“We will be back by then.”

“And if you’re not?”

“Send for us, you have my telecommunicator number?”

“Yes,” Aeneas answered.

“The rowing men will be glad for such a reprieve,” Bern said.

“They certainly will,” Aeneas agreed. “You will message me then when you are on your way back then?”

“Yes,” Gerald answered. “I will contact the ship’s communication center midday everyday.”

“Excellent. Bern, grab the map for Empora from the table in my chambers. I will take over from here. I have a reputation to maintain. I have never not docked a ship. As for you two, have your things ready, the land is approaching fast. Anemie is blowing us her luck.”

At midday they made port near the minor city of Liom. Seven ship houses of steel stood aligned like garage doors for boats, separated by piers of more steel. Shiphands helped tie the Sea’s Commander in place.