Part II: Chapter 6 - Purpose

Freyr and Lugh shone on the stone court. Korth stood in front of Aiton, wooden sword in hand. Korth wore the seachrome armor Aiton had seen on the trainer so many times before. Aiton wore leather padding and a leather cap strapped underneath the chin, just covering the ears.

"Young prince, you did well today. Remember to keep your footing as fluid as water. Remember, warriors still standing do not stand still."

Aiton admitted to not moving as much as he should. If only I were like my brother. If only he were here. His brother's absence at Coronation worried Aiton, and although he enjoyed sparring, he couldn't help but become distracted by his family's fracture.

"I will do better next time."

"I hope so. I do not like bruising one so young."

"Are you done with the young prince, Korth?"

Aiton stepped two paces to the right and saw Professor Haruko walking forward from the shadows of East Tower. The professor wore a purple cloak with the Paen sigil in royal blue on the upper left.

"I am," Korth said.

"Do you mind bringing the basin of water, then?"

"I will be back shortly."

Korth left. Aiton liked Korth and his accent. It was melodic and warm and inviting. Because of it, Aiton was more willing to obey. It beat the croak of Elias, one of his father's adored[JP1] , any day. Aiton twirled the wooden sword in the air, disappointed that the sword didn't gleam in the light. His mother didn't allow him to swing steel swords yet.

"How was your weapon's training today, young prince?" Professor Haruko asked.

"I did well."

"Hopefully you are not too tired for Power training."

"Of course not!" Aiton rolled up the cuffs of his long-sleeve silk in anticipation for the session. Maybe today is the day.

"Such an eager child. Perhaps that is why you are my favorite young prince."

"I am the only young prince here, Professor Haruko."

"Aye, that is also why you are my favorite."

The old man laughed, and Aiton smiled. He relished days he trained his body and his tongue instead of his mind. For the past couple days, since coming back from the Core, he spent more time with this type of training, at his parents' request.

A few minutes later, Korth brought over a basin of water. If Aiton were to rule Acquava he would need control of its most abundant element. A true Acquavan could do it. That's why his brother was so good at it, as was his father. Aiton hoped to have it twirl around his hands today like the way Hydro controlled it before he left.

Aiton walked over to the basin and smiled at Korth, who stepped aside but stayed close, basking in the suns' light. Aiton peered into the water, seeing his reflection. Also seeing the man he wished to become, someone who could slosh the water, who could control it and bid it to do his will-a man like his brother or father. After the initial sloshing, it settled. Aiton would need to be like the water, calm and settled, if he were to cast. Today would be his day.

"Aiton, do you recall the true word for water?"

"Vesi." Aiton never took his gaze off the water.

"Good. Now look at me." Professor Haruko pulled up the cuffs of his sleeves and placed a hand in the air. "Vesi."

Soon, the water stirred into waves, and the waves formed a controlled miniature hurricane that grew in height until it circled the professor's hand. "When you control an element, Aiton, never let your mind lose grasp of that control. This is the most difficult thing to learn, for it requires you to think separately yet similarly at the same time.