Part I: Chapter 3 - The Spot

The mountain rose up another couple hundred feet or so but Zain didn’t care about making it to the top. It didn’t happen there. It happened here. He stopped less than three quarters of the way. Soreness ached his hands and sweat gathered on his clothes. For only climbing this particular path once a year, he was surprised by how well his hands could still climb.

At this height now, on this ledge, he saw the expansive Krine Sea. Although he couldn’t see Empora from his spot, he knew it lay there, and over there was Gabrielle. She played a role in him coming here. To this spot. Not because she suggested it. She hadn’t. But, he needed to tie up one loose end before he could truly move on. There were bigger issues now and he didn’t have room for past ghosts.

Then, he moved his gaze.

Every year it was the toughest thing he did. Somehow he always managed.

His eyes retraced the stone wall behind him. At the top, a large crack split the ledge like a basin. And by his feet he noticed tiny rocks and scars. His side ached. He inched forward. When his feet got to the ledge, he saw her falling. Ava. He retreated. A rumbling came to his ears. He jerked. His side ached even more. From above he saw the boulder falling. The deafening crash that hit the ledge before it rolled onto his side. Ava being nearly swept away by it, only saved by Zain’s hand.

His fingers began sweating.

He crawled to the edge of the ledge. She dangled there. Her eyes held fear. Uncertainty. Zain reached out for her again.

She fell.

Zain crawled back to the middle of the ledge not wanting to see the aftermath. But he did. He always did whenever he returned. The screech. The sickening splat. The sudden shock. The tears that flowed after, too busy lost in his own losses to feel the pain in his side. Every part of that day burned in his memory.

Zain scooted back until his back hit the rocky cliff. His breathing heightened. Tears still flowed. Zain yelled then. To no one but himself. He hoped the Twelve heard him and saw his anger and pain and agony. A part of him wanted them to recognize him on this day, the very day he stopped believing in them. I didn’t want your power anyways. He thought back to how he rejected Guardian Eska. He was lying to himself. Now he did. Here, anyways.

His fingers trembled as they reached for his academy knife. They unsheathed it. The metal reflected in the sunslight. In the background the Krine Sea called to him. He rolled up his sleeve on his left arm. Would this be the time he would actually do it; he had cut himself once the first year he visited and another time a year after, or was it two. Regardless, two scars still lingered there. He almost never saw them, though, for he wore a long-sleeved academy uniform. Then he saw his hand and the scars there from when his sword broke during the second Trial on the Core.

“Why. . . Why. . .” Zain sobbed.

His hand shook as he thought about drawing the knife upwards this time instead of across. The tip of the knife poked against his skin. It felt warm this time. It felt wrong. He looked back to the Krine Sea and noticed the suns apart, their reflections surprisingly clear on the sea. It created, what looked like, two eyeballs watching him, tempting him to go through with it. He sat there low and pitiful.

That’s when he saw beyond the sea to Empora. Not literally, figuratively. Gabrielle. . . The tingle came back to his neck as he remembered how she held her dagger against his throat during the first trial. He felt low there as well. Pain. . . hopelessness. . .futility. . . the words all came back to him. There are things worse than death.

Zain gasped back to reality.

He dropped the knife.

He leaned his head against the cliff. Without meaning to, he said her name, “Ava. . .”

“Zain. . .”

Zain jolted. He saw her there. In front of him. he bolted upright. He walked towards her, saw through her, saw Krine Sea and everything that lay beyond if only he could get past her. He stopped then.

“Ava, this is my last time coming here.”

She didn’t move. Didn’t say anything.

“I can’t live my life holding onto the guilt I had for you. Every time I come back to this spot, I remember you. . .and us. I can’t afford to do that any longer.” He regained his confidence. “There are things worse than death. . . things like pain. . . and hopelessness. . .and futility. Whenever I think about wanting to change what happened.”

She stood there, face stoic, hands clasped together, intent on watching him.

“I can’t continue to torture myself over you. I know I promised I would always remember you. . . and I want to. . . but some things need to be forgotten. . . I can’t hold myself accountable for your death any longer.” Zain took a long moment to look at her. Her eyes had taken the color of the suns. “I am moving on.” Zain turned around to face the rock cliff.

His ears perked, hoping she would say something.

After a minute of clear silence, he spoke again. “Ava, I came to say goodbye.” Zain turned back around and when he did he noticed Ava start to disappear.

“Goodbye, Zain. I am glad you are moving on. That is what I always wanted.” Her lips curled into a smile and then she disappeared to be nothing more than a gust of seawind.

Another gust. It beckoned him to leave.

Zain smiled. He picked up the knife on the ground and examined it. He glanced towards his arm and took one last look at the scars he made several years back. He sheathed his knife and rolled up his sleeve, keeping his eyes focused on the newest scar—the one on his hand.

It’s time to find you Zakk . . . and right another wrong.