More Than Friends

Charles was sitting in the library on a lazy Sunday afternoon studying for an upcoming potions test. Fifth year for him so far had been quite easy but he knew that tougher times would come.

He glanced up from his book when he felt a vibration spread across the desk. Looking up, he noticed his long time Hufflepuff crush, Emma Prewitt. Her sweet brown eyes staring at him as her brown wave like hair sat upon her shoulders.

Hey Em, I didn't know you were coming to study. He signed to her. She shrugged.

I figured studying would help for the OWLS, my parents really want me to do well on them- along with all of my other exams this year. She signed back as she sat down next to him.

Right I know, but didn't Lamia say she wanted help with something? Charles asked, deciding to close the book when he finished signing.

Nope. Maybe you just misinterpreted something. She teased him playfully. Charles tilted his head and grinned.

Me? Misinterpret something? Never! He gave her a playful shove, making her laugh.

Emma's laugh, he enjoyed watching her laugh. Charles always had, whether it was something he had signed or not, watching her laugh and feeling the softness of her breath made him feel happy.

When she finished Emma smiled at him but made a daring move. She scooted her chair so it was touching his and pressed her lips to his.

Charles didn't know what to think. The girl of his dreams was kissing him his first kiss. Him of all the boys in the school! The deaf child who didn't deserve anyone, was now being kissed by the prettiest and kindest girl he knew.

He shut his eyes but suddenly she backed away, her face flushed in embarrassment. She stood up and started backing away.

Em? He asked, slightly concerned and confused.

Without a response she ran from him and out of the library. Charles waved his wand and cleared the desk of his books, parchment, ink, and his quill before streamlining out of the library in a light jog.

He checked Emma's favorite spots in the castle. Her common room- nothing, the astronomy tower- nothing, the greenhouses- nothing. He was starting to give up but when he spotted her by the Black Lake with Lamia he ran to them.

Charles was scared, he knew the kiss and her reaction might have just ruined their friendship. Frowning at the thought he approached the two girls hesitantly.

Emma, I'm sorry. I'm sorry I ruined our friendship. He started as he continued to frown to show emotion.

Your fine. I was the one who kissed you... I should've known you wouldn't feel the same way about me. Emma apologized for herself. Charles burrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

What're you signing about? You don't have to say your sorry to me. He asked.

I know you like that Gryffindor Mary Macdonald, you've probably already kissed her! She signed, not breaking their eye contact.

Charles eyes widened in shock and surprise. Emma, that was my first kiss. From you... He smiled weakly. But it seemed that his statement just made her more upset.

Well I'm sorry I ruined that experience for you! I mean, who am I compared to her? She's gorgeous, brave, calming, and her form is nothing like mine! You don't deserve me-"

Watching her sign this made Charles sick. Having enough of her nonsense he wrapped his arms around he and kissed her sweetly, blushing deeply as he felt her reply.

Lamia snuck away to let the two have their well earned peace.

The affection was long over due and the kiss made everything seem perfect for them. Both of them were now clearly aware they were just meant to be more than friends, no matter how different they were from each other.

————
Geez this isn't even 1000 words, it feels weird to be writing something so short lol. But it was definitely soo sweet and adorable to write. Lamia is actually the main character in Monstrous and Emma and Charles are her only friends. @LRShade wrote her own version of this scene so please, please, please go check it out and to get more details on the mysterious Lamia! As always follow, vote, and comment!