Chapter 29

There was no thought, just action. Before I’d really taken the time to consciously make a plan of attack, my body had already decided to move on its own. I dove, managed to slide under one of the pillars that blocked my path, and then rolled forward onto my knee with my gun raised. In quick succession, I pulled the trigger twice; the first shot aimed at the person’s hand, and the second at their knee.

               It all happened fast, but even so my mind seemed to take things in stride. I knew what I had to do. As the person stumbled forward, about to fall, I leapt at them with my hands outstretched. Immediately, I wrapped one arm around the person’s throat, and then with my free hand I quickly clamped it over their mouth. No noise; the rest of their team couldn’t know we were here.

               “Ehh-ghh,” the person attempted to cry out as they clawed and tried to squirm out of my hold. “-uck, ett mehhh-ghh.”

               “Sage, what’s going on?” Iris asked, clearly startled as she rushed over. “What happened?”

               “Check the perimeter,” I growled as I tightened my grip. “It could be an ambush.”

                Iris immediately narrowed her eyes and glanced around the room as she held out her gun. Slowly she began to make her way towards me. Behind her, Ally and Jade also prepared themselves and began to sweep the area that surrounded us. It took only a few moments, but eventually they called out that the room was safe.

                “Stop moving,” I told the person that continued to strain against me. “I’ll let you go if you promise to stay quiet.”

                Whoever it was only continued to flail around more, I didn’t budge though. Iris began to search through her pockets, but before she could find her flashlight, Jade had walked over and pressed the barrel of her gun to the person’s forehead.

                “This won’t kill you, but it’ll hurt like hell if I decide to shoot,” she said with a wry smirk. “You’ll get a giant welt, and essentially you’ll look like a human unicorn for a couple of days. Now, is that what you want?”

                The person froze, and then after a beat quickly shook their head to say no. Jade smiled, not a trace of sweetness in the gesture, and then dropped her gun when Iris walked over with a flashlight. I released my hold, but as soon as the person had stumbled forward I’d already trained my gun back on their head.

                “David,” Iris scowled. “What an unpleasant surprise.”

                “I could say the same,” David spat, and when I saw his fingers twitch towards his gun, I jabbed him once with my own rifle.

                “Don’t do that,” I warned. “Jade’s not the only one here that gets trigger happy.”

                He swallowed loudly and then nodded. I didn’t trust him, but just as I was about to speak, Ally stepped forward. Holding her hand out, she waggled her fingers until he gave up his gun, then she slung it across her back.

                “How many more are there in the building?” Iris demanded.

                “Not telling,” he sneered. “You’re going to have to find that out on your own.”

                “I’ll get him to talk,” Jade said as she lifted her gun, set her sights, and then pointed it at his crotch.

                “No Jade, don’t,” Ally said aghast.