Chapter 19

“So, was it all you expected?”

                “Honestly, not really,” Biff said with a little sigh of disappointment. “I figured the kid would’ve put up more of a fight. I don’t think he even hit me once, did he?”

                “Just that time in the beginning,” I said as I furrowed my brow and tried to recall the exact events of yesterday’s fight between Zane and Biff.

                “That doesn’t count,” Biff said, rolling his eyes dramatically. “I let him hit me.”

                I chuckled but nodded, he was right; it didn’t count. Not when Biff had actually stooped over to accommodate for his and Zane’s height difference, turned his head, offered his cheek as an available target, and said; I’m gonna’ give you a freebie kid, just cause’ I feel bad for you.

                “Man, that fight was hysterical though,” Finn said as he spooned some of his oatmeal into his mouth. “When you picked him up and began to twirl him around over your head, I was laughing so hard I seriously thought I was gonna’ piss my pants.”

                “I know right?” Dan agreed as he leaned over and stole a strip of bacon from my plate. “That, or when he tried punching you but couldn’t reach because you had your hand on his head and kept pushing him back.”

                “That’s comedy right there, from the very beginning. I was sure the kid was about to faint when you took off your shirt and he saw what he was up against. He went completely pale,” Jude said. “He should’ve just picked us. Might’ve been tired after three fights, but at least it would’ve been more even.”

                That was also true; while Finn, Jude, and Dan certainly wouldn’t have been easy opponents, they would’ve at least left him with some dignity afterwards. In a lot of ways, when I’d first met Biff I’d thought he was just like a taller and blonder version of Dan; their personalities were similar in that they were constantly goofing around and rarely ever seen with a frown on their face.

                However, upon really getting to know him I’d discovered just how one change in their many shared traits had made all the difference. Dan wasn’t a saint, he’d fight without hesitation if he saw the need to, and he wasn’t above using the other person’s weaknesses to help him win, but that was just it; he fought if it was necessary.

               Biff fought for fun, if he was dared to, even if he was simply bored and didn’t have anything to do. There were times I’d even seen him try to get under someone’s skin on purpose, on the off chance that they’d try to take a swing at him and then he’d have a good reason to start tossing bodies left and right. It rarely happened though; only a crazy person would dare to challenge the hulking beast that was Biff.

               Honestly, if it wasn’t for the fact that he absolutely adored his job as a mechanic, I suspected he’d have stayed as a fighter in the Cage along with me for the past year. It was a good thing his love for tinkering with the tanks and armored cars won over anything else.

               “Best part, by far, was when he actually began to run away from you,” Finn said; effectively interrupting my train of thought. “It was so funny how you had to chase him around the ring. Hah, like a game of tag.”

               Again, I found myself grinning, but not as widely as before. I couldn’t help it, it was laced into my genes to worry about others; even now, I found myself wondering if I could’ve done something else to let Zane off the hook. I sighed though, knowing fully well that there hadn’t been another option. A punishment had been necessary, and compared to something Banks might’ve thought of, mine had been tame; I hadn’t actually let Biff rough Zane up as much as he’d wanted to.