Chapter 43

“Initiates, today you’re all going to be going through a different kind of simulation known as a fear landscape,” I told the group that stood before me.

               After breakfast this morning, Banks and I had gathered up the initiates and led them along the paths that surrounded the Pit, then up the winding stairs to the tower that stood above the dauntless compound, and onward until we’d reached the glass room where the fear landscapes took place.

               “With all the simulations you’ve already gone through, we’ve been storing data about your worst fears and keeping them on file. The fear landscapes will evaluate that information and then present you with a series of virtual obstacles,” Banks recited as he looked from face to face. “Most of your fears will be ones that you’ve already faced, however, there is an off chance that new ones may arise.”

               Hesitantly, Mel raised a hand in question.

               “Mel?” I said quickly, before Banks could go off on a rampage about being interrupted.

               “Sorry, but this sort of sounds like what we’re already doing,” she said fretfully; avoiding Banks’ steely gaze at all cost. “What’s the difference?”

               “The difference between the simulations you’ve already gone through and this one will be the fact that you’ll be aware,” I explained, careful to avoid looking over at the corner where Ally and Iris stood side by side.

               “So basically, in these sims we’ll all know that it’s not real the entire time?” Ally asked; as if on cue calling attention to herself.

                Though days had passed since we’d had our heated conversation in the Chasm, an air of confrontation still lingered whenever she and I were around each other. As I’d promised, whenever she’d come in to go through a simulation, I’d been unemotionally professional; helping out with tips, but pointedly avoiding any other topic.

               As for Ally, she’d seemed to be at war, not only with me, but with herself; on occasion I’d see her frown, open her mouth to argue with me, but then immediately shut it as she stormed away. She had things to say to me, it was obvious, but her amity roots made her wary to bring up any sort of conflict. Keep the peace at all costs, that was their reasoning.

                “Yes,” I answered, looking at the surrounding crowd rather than her.

                These simulations were just the ones I’d been waiting for; with everyone aware of what was happening around them, it would be as if they were all divergent. Playing on a level field with Ally, Iris, and possibly Wayne, it would be easier to hide their differences.

                “Sweet!” Wayne crowed as he pumped his fist in the air. “I’m gonna’ kill it!”

               So carelessly direct; I thought with worry. And you’re probably right, you will do well in these tests.

               Some chuckles and snorts arose at his words, but I clearly saw Banks’ brow rise with confusion. Like him, I’d been keeping an eye on Wayne. More and more, I came to see that Ally’s theory might be just right. However, like she’d mentioned, most of the time Wayne’s candidness came off as merely a dauntless characteristic; effectively keeping suspicions at bay. Even Banks didn’t seem completely sure about Wayne’s odd quirks.

                After much thought, I’d decided not to approach Wayne with the topic of his possible divergence. My reasoning was this; if he truly had the infallible honesty of someone candor, telling him about the danger he was in would only serve to make him paranoid. Then if he attempted to change his way of acting, it would only cement Banks’ suspicions.