Part 4

Chapter 10

Martin watched the Princess as she walked out of the dining room and then looked down at his four legged friend. She regarded him silently, only a touch of her mind, a sense of well being, reached out to him. He smiled at her and together they walked up to his rooms to get the rest that came as a royal command. He stretched out on the bed, his hands behind his head and staring up at the ceiling. His thoughts were a bit jumbled as he tried to form an idea of what might lie ahead for him.

A trip to the capitol was certainly the first step. He had made the promise and he was genuinely interested in going and seeing how things had developed since he had departed almost a year and a half ago. Denton had given him a hint of what had transpired as had the Queen in her letter. He'd need to discuss it tomorrow with the Prince and see what would be recommended. 

He also had to consider what part Lezene played in all of this. That they were attracted to each other was obvious. How practical that attraction might be was an entirely different matter. An odd thought began to intrude on his awareness as he examined this train of thought. He had been operating on the assumption that at some point he was going to be returning to his home in the Rockies. But was that really the only outcome? What if the power that had brought him there had intended it to be only a one way trip? What if he was expected to live out the remainder of his life in this place, doing what he could to help move the Kingdom along some path known only to the Net, or whatever? 

His mind was examining this scenario when he felt as much as heard the low rumbling of the casco and soon he felt a kind of lassitude spread out from his mind and into his body, lulling him into sleep. As he began to drift off he was sure that Pittar would give his right arm for a sleeping potion that was as effective as his friend. 

The next morning, Martin had missed his usual dawn awakening, but only by a quarter hour or so. He was feeling fairly refreshed but a little generalized ache throughout his body was giving him something to think about. He wondered if the years were starting to catch up with him. Either that or the amount of time he had spent sleeping in regular beds the last year or so had softened him up and he wasn't in shape for extended outdoor trips anymore. One thing was sure, he was hungry and he was going to check his horses and then head for the kitchen. 

He left his room with the casco alongside and continued on until the turn off for the stable. At this point she kept moving towards the back of the manor and the paths that led into the wooded areas of the grounds. Martin watched her trot off. He figured she preferred to hunt her own breakfast. He walked down the path to the stable in the cool late autumn air. Aben was standing in the open doorway. 

"Sor Martin. Can't say as I'm surprised to see ye this morn," Aben said. 

"Yeah, it's hard to break the habits of a lifetime I guess. Of course I was asleep more than a few hours before I normally would have been, so I guess it all evens out. How have the boys been working out for you?" 

"They've been a true blessing, sor and no mistakin'. They both know their animals and they don't mind workin' hard. The young one Derm has a real talent with horses. I'll be sad to see 'em go," Alben. 

"He may be around longer than we thought. Do you mind if I check on my mount?" Martin asked. 

"O' course ye can. Ye needn't ask." 

"It's your stable as much as anyone's, so it's only polite. The ol' girl had quite a workout the last week or so. I just want to make sure she's alright. Neither one of us are getting any younger," he said with a laugh. 

"That one has a lot of years left in her, sor. Ye take real good care o' her and that shows." 

Martin smiled and gave the ostler a clap on the shoulder. As Aben had said his horses were all in fine shape. He had thought he needed to get the pack animals out for some exercise but someone obviously had been seeing to them. Out of habit he gave each one a thorough examination and made sure he checked the hooves of his riding mare. He found no problems and left the stable happy. Whistling tunelessly he found his way to the kitchen and knocked on the door frame.