Breath of the Void: Chapter 10

Woooo apoc event

————————

Musashi drew her blades as soon as she saw the numbers printed in the demon's eyes, Kyojuro following suit as the two of them gazed at the demon before them. She had already started running scenarios through her mind upon seeing him. She had no idea what powers this demon had, but she knew he was powerful, it would be difficult. On the other hand, they were two very strong, very resilient Pillars.

One fact remained, though— Kyojuro, while not majorly injured, had been fighting to protect the people on the train the entire night. Musashi was sure that fatigue was starting to set in for him.

One wrong move and he could die here.

Of course, she would be wishing too much for him to sit the battle out— his fiery passion would never allow it. The two of them would have to be careful.

"Well, well," the demon spoke, "Not one, but two opponents... I can see it from here, you're both strong." His lips curled back, showing his fangs as he spoke to them.

Adjusting her grip on her sword, Musashi chose not to respond as she bit the inside of her lip. The karma that this demon had was equivalent to Tomoe Gozen's. He was strong, but there was definitely more that she was missing. All of her scenarios would only end badly if she didn't know what his Blood Arts were like— or even if the Upper Moons had Blood Arts like the Lower did. They could be entirely different.

"I have a wonderful proposal to make," the demon said. So he was still talking? Demons sure did like to talk a lot. "How about the two of you become demons?"

"No chance," Kyojuro said almost instantly, his smile falling and his eyes adapting a more serious look.

"I'd rather not," Musashi agreed, lips drawn into a frown. The demon just let out a disappointed sigh, eyes narrowing a bit.

"I know your strength just by looking at the two of you," he said, "You're both Pillars, right? Your battle spirit is quite polished, so close to supreme territory."

Kyojuro pursed his lips together before he spoke again. "I am the Flame Pillar, Rengoku, Kyojuro."

"Miyamoto, Musashi," she said, not giving her Pillar title to the demon and Kyojuro gave her a sideways glance. If they didn't manage to kill him and he took off when dawn broke, then she didn't want Muzan to any more than her name.

The demon curled his lips into a sneer again. "And I am Akaza," he said, "And you both will never be able to cross into supreme territory—"

Musashi had enough of listening to him, lunging forwards with her blades crossed and bringing them down on the demon. He just barely managed to avoid getting cleaved in two, though his arm suffered deep gashes as he leaped back.

"How dare you attack me while I'm still talking!" he snarled as Musashi landed. "You coward!"

"Hey, now, don't talk to me about cowardice when you demons flee from the sun like a child running from the dark," she said gaze hard. "I know full well that you're powerful, better believe I'm going to try and get some hits in before you get serious!"

She rushed forwards again, Kyojuro right behind her, and Akaza's fists met with one of her blades and Kyojuro's own. She swung her second one up, managing to make a shallow gash to his chest when the demon leaped back.

She and Kyojuro moved seamlessly as the battle began— guarding each other and attacking in rapid succession. Kyojuro would attack with his Second Style and then, directly after him, Musashi would follow with her Uke Nagashi Migi. Akaza would retaliate with his own attacks, before being forced onto the defensive by Musashi. Kyojuro would always be in her blindspot if he needed to be, deflecting blows that Akaza aimed at her. It wasn't necessary, Musashi always knew that people targeted her right side because of it, but it was just how they had always fought. A team of three eyes.