~ Part 50 ~ That Is Like The Most Cliche Line ~

Nightrain - Guns N Roses

-James POV-

I stand there shuffling my feet in the common room, pacing back and forth. It's almost eight on Friday night, and my palms are sweating so much it's abnormal.

I'm in some nice scarlet dress robes that Remus lent me (psh, who has dress robes anymore, right?).

I wring my sweaty hands, waiting for Lily.

Oh and did I forget to mention that I accidentally walked in on Lily in the bathroom? Yeah, well I opened up the door to find Lily wrapped in just a towel. Bare legs, bare shoulders, the whole ordeal. And you would think that the famous James Potter would have some witty or flirty comment. You would think that the famous James Potter would do something other than stare and then shut the door. But in that moment I just froze, and scurried away.

Speaking of Lily...

I hear a click as she opens the door to her room. She has one shoe in one hand, another in another hand, and she's trying to put one on as she goes down the stairs. She manages to hop the majority of the steps, but on the last few she stumbles and starts to fall forward.

I run and catch her torso before it hits the floor. She looks up at me and I notice her cheeks are a light pink. Lily blushing never gets old.

"Seems like you're really falling for me then, eh, Evans?" I quip with a grin.

"That is like the most cliche line, Potter," Lily replies, rolling her eyes, blushing harder. She stands up, brushes herself off, and finally puts that shoe on.

I take in her appearance and... wow.

She's in a light blue lace dress with spaghetti straps, and the simple, light color compliments her red hair. She has just a bit of silvery eyeshadow that makes her green eyes pop. I know everyone says that, but I mean it. And like the cherry on top, her pretty hair is up in a bun at the top of her head.

"You look... wow..." I say, trailing off, looking her straight in the eyes.

"Is it too much?" Lily asks uncertainly. "I mean, this is just a little Halloween get together. Should I have worn this fancy dress? My mum sent it, and it was like, her prom dress originally. This party isn't even close to as important, or fancy as prom! And the makeup... the makeup... I never wear makeup! I hate it! I don't even know how the girls convinced me to put it on! And my hair, this took forever! Do you think other people will have-"

"Lily. Lily. You look beautiful no matter what you wear, okay?" I assure her. "And about the other people; who gives a damn what they think?"

Lily sighs. "I don't know how you do that."

"Do what?" I ask, furrowed eyebrows.

"Not care what people think! I mean, sure, you care about a few people's opinions, like Sirius's or Remus's, but when it comes to others you don't pay any heed!" Lily exclaims.

"Oh... I dunno," I say. "I just figure that you shouldn't let some random person's opinion of you ruin your opinion of yourself."

Lily blinks. "That made a surprising amount of sense."

"You look beautiful, okay?" I tell her. "But it really doesn't matter if I think you look lovely, it matters if you think you look lovely. Okay?"

"What am I doing?" Lily asks herself. "For crying out loud, this is a Halloween party! I should be excited!"

"That's the spirit," I quip. "Oh, and uh..."

She nods at me to keep going.

"Sorry about the... Ah... in the bathroom..." I trail off awkwardly, feeling my face warm up. "Me... walking in..."

"Um... no, it's-it's fine..." Lily replies, her cheeks warming too.

We both look at each other awkwardly, blushing. I find my mind drifting to her petite self wrapped in a towel, and I feel my face grow even hotter. I blink hard, and shake my head.

"Right. Well..." I begin.

"To the party!" Lily says, shaking out of the awkward state.

She links arms with me and pulls me over to the painting. We hop out, turn left, and skip down the corridor in the direction of the dungeons.

~ ~ ~

We arrive at the door to Slughorn's partying-room. It's ajar, and Lily pushes it further open and steps inside. I follow her, and take a look around at the room.

There are tables over on one side of the room, and the other side is just a dance floor. There's about 30 people, give or take a few; either jiggying around on the dance floor, standing talking to people, or sitting at the tables.

Lily grabs my arm, and pulls me over to one of the tables. She drops her bag into a chair, and then looks to me.

"Well then, Evans." I say with a smirk. "Care to dance?"

~ ~ ~
NOTES: X

-Amelia