The Fall

It was so cold. Even under the thin layer of sheets, it was so cold. I knew I had to leave the confines of my miniature bed. I slowly sat up, letting the cold envelope my body. The chill settled into my bones as my teeth started to chatter. I flipped my legs over one side and placed my feet on the floor.

The creaking of the floor boards made me uneasy as I walked into my sorry excuse for a kitchen to get something to eat. As usual, there were only small pieces of bread and cheese. I took a small piece of bread and wandered into the living room. I quickly started a fir to warm the house.

After finding some clean clothes to wear, I ran outside to see a smiling face.

"Are you ready?" my best friend Josh Alcott said.

I nodded my head as we made our way to the twon square. The small city center was full of the high tech computers and the people of our main province , Taliannis. Today is the day of The Choosing. The day where the super computer chooses our lives for us. It chooses where we live, who we love, and what we do for a living.

Josh and I made our way to the sign-in where the other 16 year olds from our small province were gathered. It wasn't guaranteed that we would see each other ever agin. We finally signed in and sat in one of the multiple rows of chairs placed for us. I thought about what my future might be like. It can't be any worse than right now. Liiving in the poorest, not being able to support myself, and not having a family. My dad died when I was 5 years old. The worst part is, my mom murdered him. So, I have no mom and no dad. My brother is 20, he already has his wonderful life. The voice of the administrator interupted my thoughts.

"Welcome 16 year olds. As you al know, today is The Choosing. Over the course of two weeks you have been tested intellectually and physically. Today, Taliannis' super computer will match you with your soul mate, and give you where you will live, your proffesion, et cetera. I will call you up in alphabetical order and your future will be on the screen. But this year, there's a twist. The president of Ulcany's son and daughter have come of age. Two girls and two boys from each province will be challenged to become the spouse of one of the royals. Let's get started."

We sat as the first few were called, waiting patiently for our turns.

"Josh Alcott."

The administrator called. He grabbed me and pulled me close.

"Whatever happens, you're still my best friend."

He whispered into my ear. We released and he moved up to the stage. The screen started to change. First his proffesion popped up. The screen said 'Teacher'. Next, it read Taliannis. My best friend was moving to the capital province. Finally, the person he would marry. The screen started to show a picture of his future wife. It finished and Josh and I were in shock.

Hey! It's another story! Hope you like it! I'm actually writing this as a class assignment so let me know what you think!