What Once Was.

The cafe looks as beautiful as ever

The cafe looks as beautiful as ever. Bright fairy lights lit up the windows and the wooden gate looks welcoming. I drag my feet into the cafe and inhale sharply.

There it is, just like it was always, warm, cheerful, and comforting. The decor has changed a little, but everything else looks the same, the wallpaper on the walls, the bookshelf filled with old classics, the same music, and the not a single table empty.

I blink several times, trying hard not to get lost in memories. Then someone calls my name, a shrill, loud voice. I turn around, smiling. There she is, Alya, round and rosy, wearing a flower printed frock, looking just as if she's at home.

She gives me a bone-crushing hug and pats my cheeks. 'Let me look at you.' She says as she takes a step back and gives me a once over. 'You've grown thinner.' She says finally, making a face.

'Haven't has been eating much.' I can't help but grin at the look on her face. Fifty-nine and a half, she still has enough strings inside her that she sorts of bounces rather than walks. Her smile is still as wide, and her eyes kind.

'Your hair is turning grey. Aren't you going to dye them?' I raise an amused eyebrow. Alya has never been too keen on hair-dyes. But she hates grey hair.

'I'll have to.' She sighs deeply. 'I'm hoping to get a colour similar to what mine used to be. Don't fancy those fake blonds.'

Jace takes this moment to step forward, offering a hand. 'Hello, Madam. I'm Jace Anderson. We just dropped by to-'

'Oh jolly!' Alya exclaims and I snigger at the look on his face. 'I've heard about you! You're all over the T.V. You didn't come here to question me about some case of yours huh? I've heard that you've taken to asking unnecessary questions.'

'And they help me a lot.' Jace manages a smile. 'Can you get us a free table, please? A couple of girls at the third table on the right, there. ' He nods at a table where six girls are sitting, glancing at us and giggling. I get a glimpse of a cell phone being whisked out of a small purse, and I turn back to Alya quickly. 'They seemed to have recognized you. And we don't have time for selfies.'

'Is he always this robot-like?' Alya asks as she leads us to the second floor. It's actually deserted, which make me feel better.

I shrug, stealing a glance at Jace who's keeping his mouth shut. I smirk at him before turning back to Alya.

'I came here because of Lucy. I-'

'Don't tell me.' She cuts in with a wave of her hand. 'She came to me some years back. That was when I saw the last of her. I maybe not a big fan of the media, but I get to hear the news all the same. Felt horrible. She nods at a table, and we sit down.' She came over, dropped something, talked just a little, but that was enough. The poor soul was terribly disturbed and all over the place. I didn't hear that she was missing until a week later after she came by. Couldn't believe it when a customer gossiped about how she had run away from home.'