55

"How could I forget you, my lovely saffron? I'm going to use a bit of you," Hyun Ae giggled as she grabbed the bottle of the rare spice from the dry ingredients' rack.

She walked past the freezer when she got reminded of something else that she had forgotten to bring with her last night.

"Oh, right. I forgot about the meat I bought too," she told herself, placing down her phone and the saffron on the nearest prep table, switching the freezer lights on before pulling the heavy, freezer door open.

She entered the freezer and the cold immediately pricked her skin.

"So cold! Where was it?"

She walked to the nearest steel rack and there she found her tenderloin meats. As she grabbed it, she quickly made her way back to the door, only to realize something.

The freezer's broken door.

"Uh..." she mumbled, and fear started to engulf her. She put her meat back onto the rack and slowly took a few deep breaths. "Calm down. Don't panic, Hyun Ae. Don't panic."

She checked in all her pockets, just to realize another mistake she had made.

"Nice. My phone is outside," she grumbled, clearly frustrated. Then she looked at the lever knob inside the freezer and tried to remember what Henry had explained to her about the broken door. Then she grabbed the lever.

"Henry said, 'pull this, snap it, and then turn'-"

She went quiet after seeing the lever hang loosely from its fixed position.

"I'm screwed," she whimpered, taking a few steps back as she put her arms around her body, trying to keep herself warm.

"No one will be out there. No one..." she whispered to herself, sliding down the door as she began to cry. But when she remembered Hyun Wook, she wiped her tears away and stood up.

"They're going to look for me. I'm sure they will!" she told herself, readjusting her thick scarf around her neck and pulling the sleeves of her knitted sweater to tuck her hands in.

"I hope this sweater and the scarf are good enough to keep me warm," she whispered to herself, in a trembling voice as she looked around the freezer for some card boxes that could help her a bit.

"Just make sure you're warm, Hyun Ae. Warm..."

*

It had been 45 minutes since she left her house, and it has been almost 30 minutes since she was trapped in the freezer.

She had made a small cardboard fort for her on the wall beside the door to sit in with hopes of being found by anyone soon.

But as time went by, her hopes went away slowly.

Her insides were crying out to leave the freezing container as she kept hearing the faint sound of her phone ringtone, as well as the restaurant's phone ringing many times, from outside.

The thought of someone was really out there looking for her, but the fact that she couldn't reach out to them really made her break into tears a few times.

"Some... one... Please..." she whispered to herself, shivering as she clenched her jaw. She tried to think more about positive things in her life, and as she was about to drift away, she heard a loud clamoring sound in the kitchen.

"Huh?" she whined, and adrenaline began to rush into her blood. She crawled towards the door, trying to bang the heavy door with all her energy left, but it wasn't enough.

"There's... someone... Help... Help..." she whispered against the door, as her energy began to deplete more. She looked around her, trying to get her mind right, and calmed down.