Chapter Three - Why?

For the better part of July, Nadine spent time with me. We kind of had a routine of sorts. She would come in and open my curtains - without my consent - and then talk my head off until I agreed to go somewhere with her.

Sometimes we would just stay in the house. Nadine told me a lot about her life. I found out she was the mayor's daughter and her mom was the town counselor. She had a younger brother and two dogs. She loved dancing, painting and cooking. She had dreams of going to an arts school to become a professional dancer.

She would ask about my life but after one bad conversation we let that subject go. We also don't talk about what happened in the woods.

It was nearing the end of July and school would be starting in a week. Nadine got permission from her dad to show me around while no one was here.  So, we were walking from hall to hall and Nadine was pointing out the different classes.

"That's the cafeteria. There's not many of us so we all eat lunch together. On the other end is the gym. Our gym teacher, Coach West, is kind of a hard ass but once you see past all that he's cool."

She continued pointing out things. I was only half listening and Nadine took notice.

"Come on, follow me."

She grabs my hand. She does that a lot. Maybe she just likes holding hands but I didn't know what to make of it. She led me down a few halls before stopping at a class. She pulls her keys out of her pocket and pushes a pink one in the lock.

She unlocks the door and we step in. Nadine flicks on the lights and we're standing in a dance room. Three of the four walls were mirrors. There were brown bars for stretching and a speaker in the corner.

Nadine connects her phone through the speakers and an upbeat song begins to play.

"Can you dance," she asks.

I shake my head, "Probably not."

She smiles and grabs my hand anyway. She leads me around the room, twirling and jumping. Although I could barely keep up with her it was still kind of fun. I took a step away from her and allowed her to move freely.

She never missed a beat and her dancing was quite beautiful. When the song ended, I clapped slowly.

"Maybe an arts school will accept you," I say.

She smiles but I can see a faint blush rising on her cheeks. "Yeah, maybe they will."

We both take a seat near the wall without mirrors. Nadine catches her breath while I toy with a loose thread in my shirt.

"So, I know you don't like it when I ask about your life but can I get a free pass just this once?"

I look at her. Her blue eyes are pleading and I sigh.

"Fine. But I'm not guaranteeing an answer."

"Why'd you move here? I'm sure California had much more to offer than some small town in the middle of Arizona."

I snort, "It definitely does."

She hits my arm playfully, "Hey don't knock my town. Answer the question."

"Something happened about a year ago and my family thought we needed a change in scenery."

"... I'm guessing I shouldn't ask about what happened."

"No, you shouldn't."

"Cool. Then I won't. But one day, you'll tell me your life story."

"Good luck. Let me ask you a question."