Chapter Two - Making Friends

It's been about two weeks. June slowly transitioned into July. All the days blurred together until I couldn't remember what I'd done yesterday or the day before. But it probably included being in bed.

I was once again in bed. My stomach growled hungrily but the motivation I had for getting up was at an all time low. Not to mention I hadn't eaten anything in two days. My body was weak and my mind was relentless. Everyday I'm tortured with the same thoughts.

A knock on my door made me sit up a little.

"Yes?"

The door opens and my mom comes in with a tray of food. It's full with pancakes, eggs, bacon and a glass of orange juice. I sit up fully and allow her to put the tray down in front of me. Everything smelled good and my stomach agreed.

"Thank you," I say and start eating slowly.

"You have to eat more," she says quietly. "It's not healthy. You skipping out on eating for days."

"I know."

She kisses my forehead and leaves the room. I'm halfway through the plate when someone else knocks on my door. "Come in."

When the door opens I almost choke on my orange juice. "Good morning!"

Standing in my room was Nadine. Dressed and ready to go somewhere. "I - what are you doing here?"

"I'm coming to get you. I haven't seen you in weeks."

"Ever thought that was on purpose?"

She walks over to my curtains. "Wait don't -" I call out but it's too late. Nadine pulls the curtains back and floods my room with sunlight. I squint not use to it like this.

She then continues on and takes an unwelcome seat on my bed. She smiles at me, "It's a beautiful day and I want you to come out with me."

I narrow my eyes. "Yeah, I'm going to have to pass."

"It'll be me and some friends. I told you this town had much more to offer than what you see."

"I don't want to." She grabs a piece of bacon completely ignoring me. "We'll show you all the secret spots the adults don't know about. I promise it'll be fun."

I groan, "If I go, will you please stop talking?"

She smiles widely and stands. "I'll wait downstairs. Put on something comfortable."

She leaves finally. I contemplate my chances of just not getting up but Nadine would probably just come back and annoy me some more. I groan again and move the food. I start rummaging through my closet.

I pulled out jeans and a old t - shirt. I threw on a pair of ankle boots and pulled my hair up. Grabbing my phone and the tray of food I go downstairs.

Nadine, Carmen and my mom are all talking in the kitchen.

"Where are you guys going," my mom asks.

"Just around the town. We want Valentina to feel more welcome."

"Well don't worry about getting her back early. Take as much time as you want," Carmen chimes in.

I set the food tray down. They all look at me and I glare. Nadine only smiles though. She walks around my mom and sister and towards me.

"See you guys later," she calls and starts pulling me towards the door. I throw a pleading look over my shoulder but my mom and sister are useless and give me a thumbs up.

Nadine didn't drive here so we were now walking down the street. She also had a light grip on my arm. I pull away causing her to loose her grip.

"Where are we going," I ask.