CHAPTER SEVEN

Karmah

Around nine the next morning my doorbell rings. I lay there in hopes the person would go away. The assailant rings the doorbell repeatedly.

I get up and slam the door open. "What," I snap as Bleu comes running out of the room. "Well that's no way to speak to me," Stephanie says. This dirty bitch from hell must be fucking crazy.

Bleu rubs against my legs and I lean over to pick him up scratching behind his ears just how he likes. "What do you want? How did you find out where I lived?" I asked irritably. "Well like I said yesterday I need money for-," she starts but I cut her off.

"You aren't getting a dime or penny of my money and don't you ever come here asking for it," I say sneering. She looks at me with hate in her eyes. She stares at Bleu and then peers into my apartment.

"It's nasty out here. I hate it, let me in," she says trying to push herself inside. I block her entry and prop Bleu's head on my shoulder.

"You don't have to like it no one told you to come and this isn't your house. You aren't invited in so get the fuck out. Make like your baby daddy and leave, " I say starting to shut the door.

She throws an envelope in my face. "Your father wants to hold a dinner tomorrow night at six. You are expected to be there, " she says and then walks away. I slam the door closed and lock it. I let Bleu go and get the envelope so I can throw it on the counter.

I rub my temples. My childhood was so fucked up that I even began to realize it when I was younger. I had it good until I was ten then my life went straight to the deepest and darkest pits of hell.

Flashback•

My mom had been in and out of the hospital due to epileptic seizures. Dad began to drink a lot because he was stressed. If I would've known the reason for his stress, I wouldn't have pitied him as much as I did.

I remember my mom having to pick me up one day because my dad had failed too. I was sitting at school until midnight due to the fact that my mom got off of work around that time. Classes were over at 2:15 and all the teachers leave at 5. My phone was dead and it was pouring rain. When I got into the car my mom checked to make sure I was okay as she cried hysterically because she thought I had been lost.

I told her I was fine and we headed home. When we got there I saw a car I didn't recognize.

We walked into the house and everything seemed fine. Then we heard noises from upstairs and we go up to Mom and Dad's room. Mom had this look on her face like she knew what was going on and didn't want it to be true while I was oblivious to it all. Mommy pushed the door open and there Dad was with Stephanie.

Mom stands there for a second and starts cursing them out and throwing stuff. Stephanie quickly left leaving just us three. Mom told me to go to my room. I heard lots of yelling, screaming, and crying before the front door slams. I didn't hear anything for a long while so I took a shower and started to get ready for bed.

The house phone rings and Dad didn't answer it. So I went to answer the phone. "Hello," I had said. "Hello, is this the residence of Maria Black," a male voice asks. "Yes sir," I say getting scared. "This is Oakland Hospital and I'm sorry to inform you Mrs. Black got into a car accident. She is in critical condition right now. We are doing everything in our power to keep her alive and get her well," I zone out and start crying. I hung up the phone and put my jacket and shoes on.

I ran into Dad's room to tell him but he ignored me. Eventually, I gave up and rode my bike to the hospital. I remembered the way because I usually went with Mom to her appointments at the doctor. When I got there I was tired and sweaty. I run-up to the nice-looking receptionist and ask her where my mom is.