XV

"The meal was delicious as always, Pasley," Liri said as she sat down next to her with a bowl of green grapes.

     "Yeah, it was," Jensen chimed in from his spot overlooking the courtyard filled with rambunctious Dubrovn and Shifter children playing tag. Laughter and chattering from the adult Shifters about their newest adventure or what the future holds for them reached Liri's ears and soothed her like her favorite lullaby from years past.

     "I didn't know if Sifters have diet restrictions, so I was pleased to see that what I whipped together vanished, and everyone had their fill."

     Ardon walked to the backside of the couch and stood next to Jensen. "Pasley, It was one of the best meals I've had in a long time--delicious." 

      "You're welcome. And not to change the subject but,  Liri, you look more beautiful than I remember," Pasley said and kissed her cheek. "Promise me that you won't leave us again."

     Liri rested her head against the back of the plush, cream-colored couch she was situated on. "I don't plan on leaving any time soon, but if I can't convince the Elders of my innocence tomorrow, they will send me to the Abyss without a backward glance."

     "You did nothing wrong, and you have the evidence to prove your father had enemies, so don't worry so much," Bonica chirped from her spot on the ground, next to Liri's feet.

     "I ran." She popped a grape into her mouth.

      "You were wrongfully accused, and they wouldn't listen to you." Bonica rubbed small circles on Liri's leg. "But tomorrow, they will see reason."

     "I don't know if they will, but I hope Jacob Sterling goes down for this."

     "You mean Senator Jacob Sterling, the once Elder on the council?" Pasley asked.

     "Yes, one and the same."

     The room was silent enough to hear a pin drop as it slowly filled with tension.

     "Liri, um..." Jensen shook his head as he crossed his arms over his chest. "...Sterling's dead."

     "What?" Liri paled.

     Pasley held onto Liri's hand. "He passed from heart failure just two months after you fled."

     "No, that can't be right. I have a video feed of Sterling in Bazentine Werks dated less than a month ago."

     "Sorry, Liri, but he's gone. There was a planet-wide wake in his honor," Pasley explained.

     "Sterling was a monster, undeserving of that kind of recognition, and him evading justice like this is wrong."

     Bonica spoke up, "Hopefully, he's decided to stay out of the reincarnation loop for a while and stop dirtying up our plane of existence."

     "Doubtful." Liri frowned. She took a deep breath. "If they can't put Sterling on trial for this, then how will I ever clear my name?"

     Ardon squeezed Liri's shoulder and spoke, "If they're as smart as I'd like to believe they are, then they will have no problem connecting the dots behind this mess. You shouldn't worry so much."

     "That's not the only problem I face, Ardon. Someone must fix this whole thing, and as the heir of DPL, all of its messes will fall to me to correct."

     "What about the other company owners?"

     "The dead ones, you mean?"

     Ardon lifted his brows. "Oh."