X

"If I'd have known that you were going to take a walk directly to our quarters to drown your sorrows in top-shelf scotch, I'd have joined you a while ago."

     Liri turned from the window, her tear-puffed eyes landed on Ardon. "I know, that's why I didn't tell you."

     "Ouch!" He covered his chest with both hands and staggered backward.

     "Sorry," she whispered as she wiped at her face.

     With a smile, he said, "Just for that, you have to eat."

     "Ardon, I'm not--"

     "Too bad, the damage is already done, and compensation has been demanded of you." He ordered two plates of mushroom pasta with red sauce and wine from the replicator. Sitting at the table, he pushed the empty chair out with his foot and began eating.

     Liri sighed, her shoulders drooped as she wandered to the table. Picking up the fork, she twirled it around in the steamy noodles for a few minutes before taking a bite.

     "How is it?"

     She nodded. "Good."

     They ate in comfortable silence for most of the meal when Ardon spoke, "May I ask you a personal question?"

     "No, Ardon, you can not join the harem."

     He chuckled. "Well, we can discuss that later. But I was curious, did you want to marry your girl?"

     She studied him for a few moments. "No."

     He whistled. "So, you just let Pasley think she had a shot?"

     "When she asked me, I was honest about why it would never work and told her, no." Liri smiled, and her voice grew dreamy. "Pasley is a beautiful, passionate woman, who I adore and have been with for years. I'd hoped it would satisfy her to be one of my harem-mates, but she has always wanted to get married more than I ever have."

     "She must hate that you have other lovers."

     "Pasley seems to love them as much as I do, so I doubt you're right."

     "But she wants to marry you, and now that your parents are out of the way, you could."

     Liri shrugged. "But I won't."

     "Why not?"

     "There are a few reasons; for starters, she doesn't want children, and I do."

     "You do?"

     "Yes. When I eventually marry, I do plan on continuing the family line that my parents would be proud of." She eyed him. "You looked like a natural with that little boy today. Do you have kids?"

     "Me? Kids? No, not yet." He took a long pull from his glass.

     "Yet? So you want to have children?"

     "Don't most people?"

     "Not Pasley, her temperament isn't right for it or the position her title would carry."

     "Title?"

     "The Delaney's are stewards for the ruler of Dubrovn."

     "Oh." Ardon's eyes widened. "I knew your family had influence and money, but I didn't realize how much."

     "Yes, we have a lot of pull on Dubrovn or did. But it also means formal balls, fundraisers, and all that political peacocking nonsense."

     "You don't like that?"

     She shuddered uncontrollably. "Pasley loves it as much as I despise it, but I know she would be overwhelmed and snap one day." Liri rolled her eyes. "Once, she was worked up about the newest fashions that the royals were sporting and how dreadful they made her ass look. It had been a week of complaining, shopping, and returning the new items after spending hours picking them out in the first place. And sweet Nebula, I hate shopping."

     "I'll drink to that." The two clinked their glasses together and downed the contents.

     "If you turned Pasley down, then why did she bother asking your parents permission?'

     "If they had agreed, I'd have no choice in the matter."

     "Persistent, isn't she?"

     "Very." Liri chuckled. "It's one of the things I admire about her."

     "It's understandable why she'd try so hard, I'd hate to lose you too."

     They locked eyes.

     "Well, I'm here now."

     He nodded slowly. "I can't help but wonder if you were serious about physical contact being needed to affect people with your pheromones?"

     "Yes, you even said it once yourself, so I'm a little surprised you're asking."

     "You're lying, there's no way that's true."

     "Why?"

     He ran his hand through his hair and sighed heavily. "This is going to sound, well, dumb, but I've never felt the undeniable need to be near someone like I do with you."

     "Really?" 

     "Yes, it's not... normal."

     "Ardon Rowe, I thought you were just a flirt." She blushed.

     "Well, I am, but this has to be the pheromones."

     "What if it's as simple as you like me, and you're attracted to me?"

     "I've made no secret that I'm attracted to you, but this is a whole different level." He stood from his chair and pulled her to her feet. "Dose me."

     "What?"

     "Come on, do it, so I can see if it's true or not." Ardon paused. "Just don't make me do something stupid."

     She laughed. "Are you sure you want this?"

     "Pff, yeah. Of course." He clapped his hands together and hunkered down in a defensive position.

     Laying her hand on his cheek, she spoke quietly, "Show me your wings."

     With one fluid movement, he was hovering over her. His wings spread wide as they kicked up a breeze in the room, their soft flutters keeping him airborne. Dilated, hazel eyes locked on her face. "You're right, you never used that on me."

     "Nope, never."

     "Well, shit."

     "What?"

     "I think I actually...like you, like you."

     She laughed. "I like you too, Mr. Rowe."

     "Good." He winked. "Anything else of mine you'd like to see, Lady Delaney?"

     She reached out, hooked her finger into the waistband of his pants, and gently tugged. "Yeah."

     Ardon landed, his hands found their way to Liri's hips.

     Running her palms along his chest to the back of his neck, she pulled him closer. "Kiss me."

     Within seconds their lips collided. Within moments clothes were pulled off, leaving a trail to the bed.