XVII

Stepping into the chilly marble house, Ardon kissed Liri. "Welcome home, Lady Delaney."

     "Welcome home, Liri," a choir of voices echoed around her.  

     Jensen squeezed her shoulder. "I'm so relieved to have the Huntress back for real now; maybe we can go on a Shadow raid later?"

     "Afraid not, I have a little one that needs her mother to give her a bath and feed her." Liri's smile lit up the room as she gently swayed back and forth with Nalla sleeping in her arms.

     "You mean, I have a little one," Natasha corrected.

     "Not a chance." Liri sidestepped Natasha's grab at Nalla. "You got to feed her breakfast and lunch because I was too busy thinking I'd be cast into the Abyss."

     "No need to worry about that anymore," Pasley said. "You are free and clear. I suggest we go shopping to get the baby all the clothes she will need." A slight frown pulled at her mouth.

     Liri shuddered. "You know, I wouldn't mind if you did the clothes shopping for me."

     "No." Pasley cleared her throat. "I mean, I have no idea what to dress her in and... Oh, who am I kidding? I think she's nothing but an extra mouth to feed, and she'll take away my time with you, Liriandra, but I'm trying here."

     Shifting the sleeping bundle, Liri wrapped an arm around Pasley's waist, and said, "I know you don't want to have children, but Nalla is a permanent fixture and will be needing love and support from everyone in House Delaney."

     Pasley nodded. "I adore you and will do my best to like the baby."

     "You mean, Nalla," Liri said.

     "The baby."

     "No, say it with me." Liri smiled.

     "Nalla," said Liri.

      "Baby," Pasley said at the same time. 

     The room erupted into a wall of laughter.

     "Lady Delaney! A female Dubrovn rushed in with a fresh dressing robe and spoke rapidly, "I'm sorry to interrupt, but I have the call you were waiting for is on the line in your study."

     Liri lit up. "How about Syd and our guest? Are they here?"

     "Yes, I'll bring her to the study immediately."

     "I get her back when I'm done, Natasha," Liri said as she passed Nalla over to her. 

     "If you can catch us," Natasha said with a massive grin on her face. 

     Quickly slipping out of her damp gown, she pulled on the crushed velvet robe and tied it. As she did Pasley, Bonica, and Jensen straightened her braided hair, and within seconds, she looked like she'd just walked from a saloon with nothing out of place. 

     Grabbing Ardon's hand, Liri said over her shoulder, "Thank you, Gayl, and remind me to get Jensen to teach you how to properly ride a Sleipnir. I know you've always wanted to."

     "I will," the girl chirped.

     "What's going on, Liri?" Ardon asked as he picked up his pace.

     "I believe we agreed that you would help me clear my name, and I do the same for you, was it not?"

     "Yeah, but you just walked in from getting out of trouble yourself, so I didn't think—"