[193] There's Something On The Stairs (Scary Story #4)

When I was a kid, I would race up to the top of the stairs as fast as I could, like it was some sort of silly game. Well, I must have been five or six t the time. I'm not sure, but I know I was very little. Somewhere along the way, a voice at the top of the stairs would make bets with me, such as, "I bet you a penny you can't make it to the top of the stairs." I don't really think there was a certain amount of time or anything. As I said, I was very little so I probably didn't have any counting abilities anyway. I recall just siting at the top of the stairs having conversations with this voice , about the betting, of course.

Eventually the voice (it was like a whisper of a man's voice in my head) started to bet me my life. Instead of pennies, it'd say, "I bet you your life you can't make it up the stairs."

As I got older it stopped. I meet really thought about I at all. I never mentioned it to anyone. Until one night I was sleeping over at my brother's place and we were talking about "spooky" stories. Out of nowhere I brought up the "voice at the top of the stairs" and my brother got all quiet. Before j even mentioned anything, he said, "Did it make bets with you?"

We both looked at each other horrified.