Chapter 6 ✔

"we're getting married on November 8th"

Axel didn't know how to reply. They're getting married on November 8th, that's like in less than two months? He just hopes he will be able to move out of their house by then so that he doesn't have to see them getting married to each other. Just that if he moves out by then, he can give some excuse for not attending their wedding and skip it or something. He doesn't think that will be possible if he's still staying at their house.

"Please Kai I don't fucking want to know when you're getting married ok? Jesus please "

Kai's smile faltered a bit but he shook his head and checked the time, getting up from the chair.

"I need to go to work now, I closed up all morning because I wanted to be here but...." He trailed off and looked at Axel apologetically. Axel immediately understood and shook his head before getting up as well. 

"I need to go too. You you lated then. Maybe." Axel said before trying to get up but Kai stopped him and quickly snatched phone, demanding Axel to unlock it.

"Why? So you can stalk me?"

"Please Axel I just wanted to put my number in. We're living together now, I want you to call me if you have any emergency. Please?" Axel thought for a moment before nodding and unlocking his phone, hesitantly handing it to Kai which made him jump with excitement.

"Thank you. Thank you so so much. I'll also give Miles's number to you so that you can call him if I didn't pick up. And the spare key is there in the flower pot outside. If you're here early, you don't have to wait for one of me or Miles. Oh, and do you want a ride? I'll drop you." Kai said all of this without taking a breath in between so he was panting by the end. 

"No, I said I can take care of myself. You don't have to treat me like a charity case." Axel was quick to refuse but Kai didn't seem to be convinced.

"You're not a charity case Axel. We love you. So you're going with me and that's final."

"You can't always play the love card on me Kai. This is hard ok? I accepted to live with you but you need to stay within your boundries. You can't guilt trip me into saying yes for everything just because you love me. Also what's with you guys and always demading me to do shit. I don't have to listen to you Kai. I can leave by my fucking own."

 "Sorry. I'm really sorry I just got carried away I- sorry. I'll try to stop." Kai looked like someone kicked his puppy (a/n: you know..cuz he is a vet? Kicked his puppy? No? lmao sorry continue) as he lowered his head, guilt stabbing at Axel's heart.

Maybe he was being too harsh? Even if he currently hated Kai, he was once his best friend. Seeing him so sad definitely didn't sit right with him.

"See you for dinner" was the only thing Kai said before leaving to with a sad sigh.

--------------

(Once Axel's shift got over)

Axel slowly walked home feeling exhausted. There were a lot of people that day but he can never be more thankful to March. They started early because they felt guilty they were late the previous day so Axel could go hom- no, so that he could go to Kai and Miles' house early.  He didn't even talk to Miles properly so he had to wait for that. Since Walmart was comparatively near and he knew the route, he didn't face too much trouble going back.

Once he stood in front of the door, he knocked and ringed the bell but it didn't look like anyone was there. He waited for some time before he decided to call Kai. It ringed for a while before he picked up.

"Hey Axel, what's up?" Kai spoke as soon as he picked up the call. He saved my number? Thought Axel before deciding to ask Kai about the original reason he called.

"I...uh...are you not home yet?" He asked, unsure of using the word 'home'.

"not yet, I'll be a bit late today. So will Miles. You can take the spare key and go inside. It's not time for supper yet but if you're hungry, food is in the fridge. Oh, and I'll have to go, I'm really sorry. I'll talk to you later ok? Bye!!" And he hung up there.

Axel shook his head and opened the door with the spare key and entered the house. He changed in his room before coming downstairs to the living room. He was not feeling that hungry so he just sat in the living and switched the TV on and before he knew it, he was fast asleep.

Kai and Miles decided to go home together after work so they started driving back together. "It's been so long since we've seen him but he looks so different. A difference I've not expected." Said Kai once they settled down. He indeed was concerned about Axel because he looked so tired and broken, his eyes, they carried such a strength seven years ago but now they looked defeated.

"I've noticed too and I have a bad feeling about it." Miles said and glanced at Kai. "It's because of us isn't it?" Kai asked and Miles didn't have an answer for it. 

"I don't know about that Kai, but we need to do something to make him happy. Seeing him like this, it hurts me as much as it hurts you." Kai nodded. After Axel disappeared, Miles explained everything to Kai. He told him that both Axel and himself liked him and they thought to join him in their relationship but because Kai and Miles were already together, Miles broke up with Axel. Miles told that Axel really liked him but he loved Kai more so he decided to break up with him.

It was a big fucking mistake and Miles hated himself for it.

Kai couldn't really do anything about this then because by the time he knew the whole thing, Axel already left. He wanted to apologise and Miles wanted to too, but they couldn't find him until now and now, is too late.

Their conversation ended there but the following silence was not uncomfortable at all. It was just that both of them were too busy thinking about recent events that they didn't find the need to talk. Both of them knew very well what the other one was thinking so words didn't have to be exchanged in between them.

"Axel dosn't deserve us Kai. We hurt him so bad. I'm scared we can't fix this."

"Don't go too hard on yourself about this baby. It's not your fault. We were all teenagers who acted on impulse rather than thinking properly about this. It's both of our faults so don't blame yourself." Kai said very well knowing what Miles was thinking. Miles's eyes didn't leave the road and there was no expression on his face so Kai slowly placed his hand over Miles's and they both stayed like that until they reached.

-----------------

Kai unlocked the door and they entered inside. It was dead quiet as if the house was empty. They walked into the living room and saw Axel sleeping soundly on the couch. Some documentary about a snake was playing on the TV but no one seemed to notice that because Kai and Miles were busy staring at the sleeping Axel. He looked so peaceful, like all the worries in the world just didn't bother him anymore and he seemed so happy and content.

"Should we wake him up?"" Kai asked softly and looked at Miles. This appeared to break Miles's staring and he turned to look at Kai with a confused expression. Kai internally sighed and repeated his question, "should we wake him up? I mean, it's time for dinner but he looks so peaceful that I would just let him sleep forever if he will look so calm."

"We'll just wake him up after I complete cooking dinner. It's not good for him to sleep on the couch." Miles clarified and went to change before he can start cooking. Kai stayed by and looked at Axel for some more time and then left to change. He didn't know how they will work this thing out but he was pretty sure, he will help Axel get out of whatever's going on.

--------------