Chapter 4: Broken

Kane lay in a hospital bed with his right leg in a cast, a bandage wrapped around his head, bruises everywhere, and stitches above his right eyebrow. Also, his mom clutched his left hand with tear stains on her face.

I choked back a sob as I sat on a chair and gripped Kane's free hand. Tears threatened to escape as I asked his mother, "He's not..." Mrs. Donovan shook her head no. A sigh of relief escaped and I felt less weight on my shoulders.

"But," his mother croaked, "he's in a coma. They don't know when, or if, he's going to wake up." Silence heavied the air.

I feared the one boy who could make me laugh in any situation would never wake up. I also hoped he would. Just like everyone says, hope is stronger that fear. At this time I remember a quote from my favorite movies. "Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light," Albus Dumbledore had said.

The door flew open suddenly, heads turned, and Nate walked in. "Okay, I'm here! How's he-" he stopped shouting he moment his eyes landed on Kane. Mrs. Donovan broke the news to Nate as I just stared at Kane and I's joined hands.

"Ana," Nate's voice snapped me out of my trance. He stood there with open arms. I rushed to him and embraced him. That's when I couldn't take it any longer.

I cried.

I felt Sabrina join in and, surprisingly, Mrs. Donovan.

As I stood with my two best friends and the boy I love's mother, I realized this is the first time I've broken down since...

him.