Chapter Six

Chapter Six

A week or so passed in relative peace. Neither of the young people in the house spoke much to each other, to the relief of both and the perplexity of their respective mothers, who seemed to think they should be the best of friends. Mothers always did seem to think like that.

Rachel, upon seeing that Peter held her in utter contempt and was too high and mighty to even bother with a basic greeting, was thoroughly disgusted with him and took to ignoring this particular guest completely. Well, not quite completely. The only times she really acknowledged his existence were the occasions when she tried to find Tristan. Upon learning that Tristan, the traitor, was with Peter, she was highly unimpressed. She'd never been one to dictate her friends' lives, however, and so said nothing and kept to herself.

Both Rachel and Peter would have been quite happy to remain this way, each cheerfully denying the other's existence, had their mothers not intervened and destroyed this brief way off life. It had been exactly two weeks since the family's arrival, when the most unappreciated interruption came.

Rachel was on her way out for a peaceful country walk early one afternoon, feeling that the fresh air would do her some good and boost her spirits. Knowing her mother and her guest to be visiting downstairs, she tried to slip out quietly without attracting attention, not wanting to be obligated to join them. It was to no avail. Madam Eleanor and her Mama had called her into the parlour the moment they heard her, Madam Eleanor with a strange eagerness, while Mama was more withdrawn.

Suppressing a sigh, and determining to keep the spring in her step, Rachel called back cheerily. “Coming!” and made her way towards the delicate, sun filled room.

“Oh, darling!” Gushed the madam, smiling as she jumped up and came forwards to catch Rachel's hands, “How would you like to come and visit us, deary? Stay for a couple months? I should love to have you with us, and so would Charles, too! I'm sure you and Peter would enjoy each other's company.”

Standing stalk still in surprise, the girl's brain quickly processed the thought. Travel heaven knew how far away, and live in a massive mansion for heaven also knew how long, being the guest of an overly attached, overly sweet and extremely chattery friend of her mothers, and said woman's aloof husband? While being expected to get along with and spend time with their son, the one person on earth she couldn't stand?

How would she like it, they asked?

Only barely managing to mask her utter horror, Rachel threw an anxious glance towards her mother, silently begging her to say something that would prevent this conversation from going any further.

Seeing her gaze, her Mama smiled, though it seemed a bit uncertain. “I think it would be a good thing for you, dear. To experience something new.” And the end of that sentence implied, something we can't give you.

The girl knew that her parents had always wanted to give her more, had wished they had the means to raise her a little differently. “To be a lady,” she could almost hear Mama saying. “With the training and society a lady should have.” Rachel wanted to exclaim in protest, to tell Mama that she never wanted anything more, that she loved it here, that she didn't want to leave, that to live for a couple months in the same house with Peter, no matter how large it was, would be pure agony.

Contrary to and completely oblivious of Rachel's inward struggle, Madam Eleanor's eyes sparkled with delight, and her mother smiled at her expectantly.

Truly, Rachel did not feel she had much choice, what with this pair. The matter was no doubt settled before either of them even thought of asking her what she thought, and so it was final in their minds. She was going home with Madam Eleanor. But... who else was in on the planning? Grasping desperately for one last hope, she forced a smile back at Madam, saying, “I am honoured! But are you certain Sir Charles would not mind? And what of Papa, has he agreed to this?”