Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Rachel turned to leave, still highly amused by the rich brat's sad failure of a prank, when the sound of heavy footsteps on the stairs reached her ears. She glanced down the hall hastily, to see that she didn't have a chance to escape this extremely inappropriate appearing situation of her in Peter's room late at night. Her eyes flew back to meet his, and from his sudden frown, she thought he was realizing the same. Despite their mutual dislike, the pair exchanged quick, concerned glances.

Without warning, Rachel felt her arm grasped firmly, and she was pulled further inside before Peter swung the door shut, concealing her presence. Her eyebrows raised sky high, but she didn't bother reminding him that if someone were to come to his room, this would seem by far more inappropriate. He didn't seem to have thought of that though, no, Peter struck her as the type of person who would only think of the now in a situation, with little forethought. If any.

He didn't speak to her, but stalked towards the window, clearly unhappy with this arrangement. And he sure wasn't the only one. Rachel huffed, annoyed by the way he ignored her. Tired of standing, she plopped down rather ungracefully on his bed, not bothering with how indecent that would look. If the brat thought he was going to beat her in a game of ignore the enemy, he was dead wrong. Tristan was in for it as well, for she was pretty sure she knew exactly who had informed Peter that she had a fear of fish- there was no one else who knew.

Speaking of which...A sly grin slid across Rachel's face, she wasn't known to be a trouble maker, but with someone like Tristan, that might just be the best way to get through to him. She could easily beat him in a battle of ignoring, but he didn't seem to mind, and would never expect her to retaliate with a prank of her own. Sick of being in Peter's room, and even more tired of being in his presence, the girl decided to put her plan into action right then and there.

She scooped up the snake that Peter was occasionally glancing at nervously, and stepped forwards to join him by the window. Instantly, he jerked back. Rachel gave him a sympathetic glance, oh, how horrid it would be to fear a friendly creature like this snake. But then again, knowing that he feared something made him seem more human, and less like some arrogant, heartless beast. And he deserved the scare she'd unintentionally given him when she flipped Theodore around him earlier, of that she was sure.

“Excuse me, if you will. I'm not too keen on staying here,” she flashed, slipping past him and sitting on the window sill.

His eyes widened, “You intend to climb down?”

“Of course. Got any better suggestions?” She narrowed her eyes, glaring at him. Of course he wouldn't. For one, there weren't any better suggestions, and for two, she was quite convinced of his idiocy. Well no, that wasn't quite fair- perhaps he was not completely stupid, but himself was the only thing that he cared to think of.

After an awkward pause, Peter asked “Where are you going?”

Rachel grinned, mischief dancing in her eyes. “To pay my dear friend Tristan a thank you visit. He deserves as much for telling you of my strong dislike for fish, the traitor.”

He gave her a look of utter disbelief and disdain, “With no chaperone? At night? Are you mad?” his concern for her reputation almost sounded as though it might be sincere.

“Please, is that any worse than shut in your room here?” Rachel rolled her eyes, unsure whether she should laugh or growl. “Considering, I think it's much better. I have known Tristan for as long as I can remember. You are a stranger, and the rudest one I have ever met.”

Peter's eyes flashed dangerously, “And who's the rude one right now? You're a spoiled brat, bent on ruining people's lives!” the outburst stunned Rachel into momentary silence, as she blinked and tried to figure what he meant.