Chapter Five

Alright, so this may be a somewhat boring chapter, but I didn't want to rush my plot either. I'd love to hear what anyone reading this thinks of it :)

********

Chapter Five

Peter lay stiffly on his bed, straining to hear any soft sounds that might indicate Rachel's return. He may hate the girl, but he knew full well that being out at night was not exactly the safest thing to do, and he was not so cold hearted as to wish her real harm. He could not deny his wish that she had never existed, but since she did, there wasn't much to be done about it. Down stairs the door creaked open slightly, and instantly he relaxed.

Next thing he knew, the sun was shining across his face, forcing him awake. It was not, however, until a stone hit his window that he really decided to get up. Springing to his feet, he marched over to stare down, and found himself blinking with surprise at Tristan.

“Go away,” He growled, but Tristan merely chuckled. Trying again, he frowned, “What are you doing at the window?”

“I didn't want Rae to see me,” He shrugged easily, “I'll wait by my house, you better be there quick. Remember where it is?”

“You're strange,” Peter shook his head slowly, now fully awake.

Tristan looked entirely unconcerned, “So I've been told.”

Growling under his breath, Peter slammed the shutters shut, but he could not help the slow smile that began to grow. Perhaps his new friend was a strange one, but he was a friend. And he had actually come for him, to see Peter and not his oh so close friend Rachel.

It hardly took him a minute to get ready for the day, and he determined to skip breakfast. Shoving open the door, he stepped into the hall and towards the stairs. The moment he reached the bottom, the witch herself came gliding gracefully out of the kitchen, a plate of rolls in her hand. Her eyes met his with surprise, and he noted that she seemed in an oddly good humour after last night.

“Morning Peter,” she nodded curtly, “Are you joining us for breakfast?”

“No, I'd rather not.” He couldn't manage to keep the resentment out of his tone, and she frowned, clearly not missing it.

“Well take a roll or two, at any rate.” She held the plate towards him, causing Peter to eye her suspiciously. Seeing his look, Rachel rolled her eyes, “We wouldn't want to starve a guest, after all.” She growled. Peter felt oddly relaxed at her tone, the friendliness just didn't feel right. Snatching a couple of the delicious looking morsels, he spun on his heal and stalked from the house. Behind him he heard her blow out a breath of exasperation, but couldn't have cared less. Tristan had said to meet him at his home, though in reality he met him halfway.

“There you are! Took long enough.”

Peter looked at him curiously, “What's the rush?”

Tristan grinned in response, “I'm always in a rush, the whole town knows it.” At that moment a lady walked down the street, pausing to take them in with surprise.

“Recruit a new trouble maker, Tristan?” She asked, her tone both playful and disapproving. Turning to Peter, she shook her head, “You'd do well to beware of this one and his friends.”

Tristan chuckled, “No fear ma'am, I shan't get him mixed up with our games.”

The lady cocked her head slightly, a hand on her hip. “Is that even possible for you, young man?”

Tristan raised an eyebrow in reply, while Peter watched the exchange with fascination. “Indeed it is though, Missus Smith! Besides, it is John you should really be concerned with.”