Babies and Paternity Tests

AN: Hello everyone! It's only been, what? 5 years? But we are here. Unfortunately, life got in the way of my writing dreams. Once I became an adult, and had to go to college and all that shit, writing wasn't something I did a lot. But now that I've time, I decided to finish this finally. So let's go.

The first thing I heard when I started to wake up was beeping and other people talking quickly. The last thing I remembered was the doctors beginning to perform the c-section before they announced that the blood loss was too intense for me to still be conscious. I opened my eyes to see nurses tending to both me and the incubator in the corner of the room.

The sound of cries filled the room. My babies, I thought, letting my eyes drift closed again.

***

When I finally woke up, the room was much quieter and empty. Eli was stretched out, sleeping on the couch that was in the room for visitors. It took me a minute to realize this wasn't the room we started in. A nurse came into the room and I immediately perked up. "Hi River. It's nice to see you're alive still," she joked. "How are you feeling?"

"Tired. A little sore. But I'm okay. How are my babies? Can I see them?" I asked, sitting up against the pillows on the bed.

"They're beautiful, River. The doctor should be almost done with their check up. He just has to make sure everything is going okay. Birth can be traumatic for them too." I nodded and sat back, more relaxed. Knowing my babies were going to be okay was a relief. "On another note, we do want to get their birth certificates figured out. Names first, I guess?" she prompted me.

"I got it all figured out. We planned ahead," I laughed. "Rose Patricia Long for her. Hawthorne Lucas Long for him." We all decided that the babies would take my last name. Because hell, I carried them and I gave birth to them. They get my name. Patricia for Patrick, and Lucas for Luke. Deciding to name both the twins after flowers was harder. But I wanted them to be named after something pretty.

The nurse nodded and wrote the names, double-checking for spelling. Then it came for the father's names. "I understand that we needed a paternity test, yes?" I nodded as she walked over to Eli to wake him. She took a DNA sample from him and he walked over to join me at the bed.

"Are they cute?" I jokingly asked. Eli gave a laugh but it had no humor in it. "What do they look like?"

He looked upset when he replied, "Hawthorne is blond." I cursed under my breath. "I meant what I said before. If they are Kayson's, I'm still here. I'm not going anywhere. These kids are gonna need a real dad. Even if that's a step dad."

"I love you, Eli."

"I love you too, River."

***

By the time that the nurse came in with the babies, I had learned that Kayson left but not before leaving a DNA sample as well. He didn't trust that I had only slept with him and Eli. According to Eli, he yelled, "Who knows how many possible dads they could have?" before leaving. The news made my blood boil. But the sight of my babies was enough to cool any anger.

Hawthorne was blond, a darker dirty blond than Kayson. The darker color made me believe there was a chance that the color was just a coincidence. Rose had black as night hair, which further fueled the thought that they could be Eli's. That was Eli's hair, I thought. Both had an eye color that mirrored my own. The chances were almost 50/50.

The nurses began to show me how to get both babies to take a bottle. She also asked if Eli wanted to do some skin to skin, even if we didn't know the results yet. We said absolutely. So as I fed Hawthorne, he held Rose.

"This is kinda crazy, to think that they're here. After talking to them in your belly for so long." He nuzzled his head on top of hers. "Babies have a smell." That made the nurse let out a laugh.

"Yes they do," she agreed before leaving us to have a moment with the babies. We switched babies after a moment before continuing to snuggle them.

***

After the babies had eaten, they went down in small hospital cribs to sleep. All swaddled in their blankets, they looked so much smaller. They were both about 5 lbs, give or take a few ounces. They were both deep in sleep when the nurses finally let Patrick and Luke in the room. They ignored both me and Eli in favor of cooing over the babies.

"We exist too, guys," Eli laughed.

"Sure you do," Patrick replied, waving at us without turning around. We laughed and they eventually joined us.

We talked and spent time together before a doctor came in with a nurse to announce the results of the paternity test. "Hello everyone. I hope everyone is still doing well."

"We are. Minimal pain," I responded.

"That's good. River, we do have the results for the paternity test. We tested both babies against both DNA samples. Would you like me to read the results to you now?" The doctor held a manila envelope in his hands.

"Let me call Kayson. I don't know if he wants to be here or what," I said, pulling out my cell phone and dialing the number. He picked up quickly and I gave him a rundown of what was going on.

"Just put me on speaker phone so I can hear. I'm too busy to come in person." I rolled my eyes before doing what he said.

"Go ahead doctor." The doctor nodded before taking out the paperwork. He read it over himself before he spoke.

"Okay, we tested both Hawthorne and Rose Long against the DNA of Eli Spencer and Kayson Robbinson. The results we found were quite weird but not unheard of. When a person's egg becomes fertilized with another's sperm, it is rare but possible for the body to have another dropped egg to be in the uterus. This usually results in twins with one father, but if the second egg is not fertilized and another's sperm is introduced, it's possible for twins with two fathers. Eli Spencer is the father of Rose, and Kayson Robbinson is the father of Hawthorne.

AN: I'm sorry if you all hate the babies' names. It was a last minute decision, but I like them.